Half Marathon Race: How many days beforehand to stop running

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
When do you stop running before the half? I saw some plans that have you running 3 miles the day before and some that have you completely resting the 2 days beforehand. I'm confused. It's my first half race, and I was doing Hal Higdon's beginner plan.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I would absolutely rest the day before.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My first half is the 12th and I plan on reducing my mileage by about 30% next week and taking two days running rest beforehand. It's really a matter of personal preference, but most plans I've seen have you take 2 days off, if not more.
  • 1059alexandra
    Options
    I wouldn't run 3 miles the day before. I would probably take it as a rest day. I've run 3 half and 1 whole marathon and I've never run the day before. I'm definitely no expert though.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Follow Hal!!! I followed his plan for 2 half marathons and performed how I wanted. I've ran 2 miles the day before each and rested 2 days before. That's what worked for me though, everyone is a little different. Best of luck on your great accomplishment!!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Here is the truth. Some people like to rest the day before, others like to run a couple easy miles just to stay loose. If you are properly trained, a couple easy miles won't tire you out for race day. Either way, you'll be fine!

Good luck!
  • onesillygirl
    Options
    I did my very first running race a month ago, a half marathon. I trained for five months. In the week prior to the race I only ran about 7 miles total. I ran a mile two days prior and rested the day prior. That seemed to work out pretty well, though I have nothing to which I can compare it. I think the reasoning for not running as much the week before is to avoid injury, but I could be wrong being the rookie that I am. :) I ran the entire race averaging a 12 minute mile. It was an amazing experience. Good luck to you!!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you, running a half! I am following Hal's intermediate plan for my 5th half marathon. Personally, I always like to rest the day before my race and get plenty of rest the night before.

Also, hydrate, start a few days before the race and be conscience to get enough fluids. You are going to do GREAT! Hal has a great plan! He won't let you down.

GOOD LUCK! Have fun!!
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would taper for two weeks before...you can still run, but just enough to make you happy. No heavy leg workouts. No running about 2-3 days before...stay off your feet the day before.
    Have fun and good luck!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I ran 2.6 miles tonight, but I won't do any other leg work until the race. I might do an upper body band workout tomorrow, but that's it. I plan to start hydrating tomorrow. :smile: