Chigger Bites - How To Get Rid of the Blisters and Stop the

Options
WomanofWorth
WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
When chiggers find me, boy do they ever find me! Sooooooo I have the blisters and have used calamine lotion, peroxide, hydrocortisone cream which works for all of about an hour. Any suggestions? My legs look like a nuclear explosion happened on them. :blushing: :noway:

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine (an expert at old remedies) once told me to paint the top of the bite with clear nail polish and they'll go away in a few days. Always worked for me! Of course it may not much solve your immediate itching problem, but it does get rid of them quickly ...

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing as Clew. Haven't tried it for years, but seem to recall it working
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've only had them a few times, and normally just suffer, but I found a great site with some consistent suggestions:

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/static/chigger-bites.html

Key suggestions were showers as hot as you could stand, plus salt water, Listerine, etc.

So basically, force lots of blood to the surface, and put things on the skin that draw the irritants away from your body sooner than later.

Good luck!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I also have read that Epsom salt helps. Will try the salt water bath tonight. Thank you
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Nail polish doesn't work. It's supposed to kill the chiggers by drowning them in the stuff, but by the time the "blisters" have formed, the chiggers have already left your body, or at least left those spots. The only reason nail polish seems to work is placebo, and natural healing of your body.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hmm ... good to know :ohwell: :happy: