Has anyone else used a Spiralizer for veggies?

Options
Since I'm doing paleo-ish I got one and I've been really enjoying it. Tonight I think I finally achieved perfection with it: I made chicken alfredo with zucchini "pasta"! Just 415 calories and minimal carbs. I'm sure you could replace the flour with a more paleo friendly substitute, but I'm not strict about it.

Here's my recipe:
1 chicken breast (280 calories)
1 whole zucchini "spiralized" (55 calories)
1/6th of a recipe* of alfredo sauce (80 calories)

*Alfredo:
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Has anyone else made anything awesome with a vegetable Spiralizer?

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No, but I had a sample of spiral zucchini with pesto sauce at Wegmans the other day. It was very tasty! I'll be watching to see who else posts recipes.
  • halleyucaldwell
    halleyucaldwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I made stir fry and used the zucchini spirals instead of noodles. Hubs even ate it and he isn't too keen on veggies.
  • rachelle_shanrock
    rachelle_shanrock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy the premade spiralized zucchini at whole foods and put it with marinara sauce and ground turkey.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 3 years and I use it probably 3-5 times a week.
    Check out http://inspiralized.com/ for recipes on how to spiralize a ton of different vegetables, and really good recipes. It's an amazing website!
  • Queenmunchy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Greek style zoodles
    d7qzzlbblxq5.jpg
    Cheesy veggie zoodles
    o84uqhqingou.jpg
    Buffalo chicken zoodles
    pyh2pjoaeezp.jpg
    Spiralized beets on kale salad
    1zu7v46u51jm.jpg
    Butternut squash noodles with bacon and spinach
    ni8tt2i67p51.jpg
    Zoodles with oxtail marinara
    s6shlpsn2d77.jpg
    Mexican style zoodles
    llimiaqpo8ea.jpg
    Kung pao chicken
    9eeez8dggpno.jpg
    Chicken tikka on butternut squash rice (noodles, then riced)bwqs6twnym4i.jpg

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I make courgetti carbonara which is awesome and around 350cals for a decent size portion! I haven't made it in a couple of weeks to give the measurements, but it's difficult to make it much more.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    my mum got me one of those spiralizers and I never really knew what to do with it. I mean obvs. I knew it was for veggies but I ca't stand zucchini and almost every recipe seems to be for that :( except maybe carrots for salad.
    I will definitely check out that inspiralized-homepage!
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    VintageFit wrote: »
    my mum got me one of those spiralizers and I never really knew what to do with it. I mean obvs. I knew it was for veggies but I ca't stand zucchini and almost every recipe seems to be for that :( except maybe carrots for salad.
    I will definitely check out that inspiralized-homepage!

She has so many other ideas that aren't zucchini!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have so far resisted spiralizer mania but, y'all are wearin' me down. My next investment in improved kitchen cutting will probably be a strop to finish my knife edges but, after that, maybe.
  • heelsup
    heelsup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make the zoodles with a lower carb aldredo sauce and add shrimp right at the end. It is wonderful with pesto that way too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have one. I occasionally use it to make sweet potato fries. I have made zuchinni noodles a couple of times, but honestly they taste so much like spaghetti squash I find it easier to just make spaghetti squash and not dirty the sprializer.

It's like most other kitchen gadgets I own it mostly sits unused while I reach for my trusty sharp knife.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it! Even my picky little will eat "zoodles" when I make them! Our favorite is to use it in place of pasta with my homemade spaghetti sauce. I see another poster mentioned http://inspiralized.com/ Seriously the BEST website for spiralizer ideas!! They have tons of options, not just zucchini, and some super creative recipes!!
  • pugzula
    pugzula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a spiralizer from Williams and Sonoma about a year ago after spending about 6 months studying and thinking about it and I'm so glad I did. I also invested in an electric wok (which I love so much and barely use my stove anymore). I have 4 different blades on my spiralizer (part of why I bought this one), so I can also do chip cuts (I use this one for apples with a little cinnamon), and ribbon cuts for bigger/more round veggies such as rutabegas and beets. In addition to zucchini; I have also used summer or yellow squash for pasta, cucumbers and carrots for cold salads, eetc. I was lucky because my spiralizer came with a recipe book but there are lots of online recipes for things as well. If you are thinking about buying one, they are worth the investment and now they make a couple hand held ones too, so you don't have to get a bigger one-maybe try a hand held first and then move up to the next one. I love mine.