66 pounds to lose, fighting with cortisol

Options
FFragola
FFragola Posts: 10 Member
Hi guys!
I'm Francesca from Italy.
I had recorded years ago because I wanted to lose some weight, unfortunately after a few months I had hormonal problems (very high cortisol) and my situation worsened.
Now my health has improved (cortisol is still a bit 'high, but much less than before), but I got to weigh 182.6 pounds.

I do not feel good about my body and myself.

I had lost all motivation, and I still pity me.

Two nights ago, I remembered Fitness Pal.
I looked at your successes, your willpower despite the difficulties.
You have been my spark.
Although I do not know you, I am proud of each of you.
And also I want to be proud of myself.

So today I started to work, it is the first day.
I dusted off "30 days shred" Jillian Michaels, and I added a little bit of kickboxing's cardio.
I'm really out of practice (how exhausting!), but I'll try to get back in shape.
I want to change my lifestyle, to become the girl that I always desired.

I don't know where to start, so if you want to give me any advice you're welcome!
(Do you think that is a good start? Or maybe is better if I do more or something different?)

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    start simple
    log your food. accurately. which may mean investing in a food scale.

and from there you can eat at a deficit. and lose weight.
    cortisol can make it hard but you can do it
  • Foxymom8
    Foxymom8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Francesca. I'm struggling with hormonal issues currently and have been told not to exercise which is frustrating. I have been doing light cardio and started Pilates/yoga today along with beginning again to log my food. I am the heaviest I've Ever been and do not like who or what I see in the mirror. Thank you for your post and motivating me! I look forward to progress
    Lisa
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    start simple

Great advice here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    How did you get your cortisol reading assessed?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FFragola
    edited August 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    start simple

Hi!
    yours is a great advice, I'm on a diet at least 18 months (balanced diet 1000-1200 kcal, made by a doctor), but the high-level cortisol prevented me to lose weight.
    I gained 17 kg on the first month, then doctors have finded my problem and I immediately put on a diet, to prevent the situation from becoming tragic.
    Because of cortisol, I have gained weight when I was on diet, that was the most terrible and demotivating thing for me. (sometimes I thought: why engage in dieting? I can not lose weight, it's best if I give up)

Now that cortisol was lowered I'm keeping the diet but I want to add sport.
    I want to do everything I can to get back in shape! :)
  • FFragola
    Options
    Foxymom8 wrote: »
    Hi Francesca. I'm struggling with hormonal issues currently and have been told not to exercise which is frustrating. I have been doing light cardio and started Pilates/yoga today along with beginning again to log my food. I am the heaviest I've Ever been and do not like who or what I see in the mirror. Thank you for your post and motivating me! I look forward to progress
    Lisa

Hi Lisa!
    What hormonal issue do you have?
    when cortisol was high, the doctors told me to avoid exercise. I could just walk in the morning, when cortisol is low, because exercise increases cortisol levels and could worsen my situation.
    At first I felt like a caged animal, who suffered his fate.

We do not like people that we see in the mirror now, but you'll see that we'll make it !!!!
    maybe we will have to have more patience than others, but the goal will be even better

• FFragola
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How did you get your cortisol reading assessed?

the level of cortisol is achieved with specific blood tests.
    You can also do the daily analysis, early in the morning you have to take a pill that lowers cortisol, then you would do blood tests at regular intervals during the day to see the behavior of the adrenal glands (which produce cortisol).

The others analysis that you can do are very similar to those of those who have thyroid problems