Healthier flap jacks.

Options
allanthfc
allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
Hi. I'm interested to know if anyone has a recipe for flap jacks that don't contain a ton of cals. I have always loved my fj's and used to pig out on them with delight but now I'm being careful of what I eat I kind of resent not being allowed one of my favorite foods, or knowing thar if I do have some I will seriously damage my calorie limit for the rest of the day.

Is there a way of binding the oats that doesn't include such a high cal ingredient but stull has the sweet, oatie taste?

Replies

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a flapjack fan too - unfortunately I have yet to find a recipe that has low calories and still tastes like a flapjack (rather than a cereal bar)! There are a few recipes on the BBC Good Food website that use fruits to bind but none are what I what consider 'low' but lower. Have a look you may find one you like :)
  • allanthfc
    Options
    Thanks. I'll have a look. Treat meal is looking like being a plate of flap jacks it seems.

They do the nicest ones ever in the work canteen but they are actually dripping honey or whatever they use.
  • vadim605
    vadim605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    By flap jack do you mean pancakes? Or hot cakes?

If so the basic recipe is 1/2 cup Cottage cheese, 1/2 cup egg whites, half cup Oats, Sweetner to taste, + 1/2 tsp of baking soda, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Blend together and cook. That's about 250-270 for 4 6" cakes. You can add in whatever mix ins you'd like. Chocolate flavor just add in 1tbsp of cocoa powder, if you need more protien add in some water and scoop of protien. Options are endless. Just make sure before you drop them in the pan to have it preheated or they're gonna be pretty soggy.

Good luck.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    0.50 cup(s), Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry (oatmeal, rolled oats)
    0.50 tsp(s), Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    2.00 large, Eggs - White only, raw
    0.01 cup, Vanilla extract
    0.25 cup, Plain Greek Yogurt
    0.50 tsp (0.6g), Baking Powder

These are awesome and make a bunch for one serving... u can cut the receipt in half and still have a good portion for half the cats ;)
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used regular oats not instant
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    vadim605 wrote: »

If so the basic recipe is 1/2 cup Cottage cheese, 1/2 cup egg whites, half cup Oats, Sweetner to taste, + 1/2 tsp of baking soda, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Blend together and cook. That's about 250-270 for 4 6" cakes. You can add in whatever mix ins you'd like. Chocolate flavor just add in 1tbsp of cocoa powder, if you need more protien add in some water and scoop of protien. Options are endless. Just make sure before you drop them in the pan to have it preheated or they're gonna be pretty soggy.

Good luck.

Quite sure OP meant these

flapjacks.jpg
  • allanthfc
    Options
    Flap jacks, I don't know how to describe them. In the uk I wouldn't call them a pancake, maybe a soft, thick oat biscuit would best describe them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    vadim605 wrote: »

Good luck.

Quite sure OP meant these

flapjacks.jpg

Look's very cookie like to me :smiley: