Exercising with painful joints.

Options
jugsy
jugsy Posts: 31 Member
Hi all :)

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on exercising and fitness with very painful stiff joints. I'm 36 and really want to begin an effective fitness regime, giving me good results. Although this recent flare up of my joints in my hands, wrists, knees and ankles is quite bad.....I don't want that to hinder any progress though.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your diagnosis? What does the dr consider safe?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, Have you been to see a doctor? What do they say is the problem? It's hard for anyone on here to offer advise without knowing what is wrong with you as you may end up causing damage by exercising if you don't know what is wrong.
  • jugsy
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Tbh....I'm not diagnosed. I tend to just get on with it as I'm waiting for an appointment which they've cancelled twice!
    I just don't want it to get in the way of any progress. I'm joining the gym today and want it to be a worthwhile investment
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Hi, Have you been to see a doctor? What do they say is the problem? It's hard for anyone on here to offer advise without knowing what is wrong with you as you may end up causing damage by exercising if you don't know what is wrong.

this.

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    jugsy wrote: »
    Tbh....I'm not diagnosed. I tend to just get on with it as I'm waiting for an appointment which they've cancelled twice!
    I just don't want it to get in the way of any progress. I'm joining the gym today and want it to be a worthwhile investment

I really wouldn't advise doing too much exercise until you have seen the doctor, you could be doing yourself irreversible damage. If you are really determined to go, then maybe just have a slow-ish walk on the treadmill or have a swim if they have a pool, but I really wouldn't lift weights or do anything strenuous until you have a diagnosis. Better to wait another couple of weeks and then get fit, with the help of your doctor, than blow it all with impatience and maybe risk not being able to exercise at all for the foreseeable future!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Don't. Get an appointment with a dr, then see what you can do. otheriwise, n the best case, you will be throwing away your money by joining a gym you might not be able to actually use. In the worst case, by the time you have a diagnosis, you might have done too much damage to yourself. Painful joints, and multiple ones, is neither normal not just a minor health issue you can ignore. Get to the dr, and see what happens. Good luck.
  • jugsy
    Options
    Thankyou all for the replies. I'm going to take your advice and wait for the appointment. Think I'll just use the pool until then.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Try Glucosamine/Chondroitin. Alleviates my joint pains almost immediately.
  • jugsy
    Options
    Thanks, just Googled it and definitely worth a try! :smile:
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Try Glucosamine/Chondroitin. Alleviates my joint pains almost immediately.

+1 on this. Made a noticeable difference for me, although it did take a couple of weeks to kick in. Get the sulfate version, and read up on the warnings (do not take if allergic to shellfish).
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I have 2 inflamed kneecaps, I do exercise dvds but just sit out when there doing squats or lunges as it causes far too much pain. Just do what your capable of doing without causing pain. Try pilaties, that gets results and doesnt put pressure on the joints
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is another non-impact activity that you can try, but pool is definitely the better option. So if you can consistently get to the pool for your movement, that would be the way to go. Go to the doc, of course, and see if there is anti-inflammatory meds that they can prescribe when the flare ups get too much.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    think low impact, like swimming and elliptical

I do yoga, well, I do aerial yoga because it's even less impactful on my joints

but wait to see what you and the dr come up with
  • jugsy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of tips and advice very much appreciated :smile:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a joint disease that is pretty extreme. I agree with getting dx'd by a doctor, although I wouldn't necessarily following his exercise advice. My doctor exercise advice crippled me for nearly a year. Research & getting 2nd/3rd opinions on everything.