How often do you step on the scales?!

Options
..so yes, this! I'm resisting the temptation to get weighed every day. I'm thinking I should just weigh myself first thing every Monday morning, but was wondering what everyone else does? Do you find you have more success with daily weigh ins?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Don't really pay attention to the numbers unless it's Sunday and I'm calculating the weekly average.
  • eilz2000
    eilz2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week so I can get an average for the weeks loss.
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There's quite a lot of threads on this already if you have a quick search :smile:
    I weigh everyday and track on an app called Happy Scale, shows you an average line so even if you fluctuate by like 4lbs it will show you the average over the last week etc.

I've had more success this way but only because mentally I've got a bit stronger. When I would see a huge fluctuation in the past I'd reach for a chocolate bar but now I know it's part of a process, carry on how I was and low and behold, the scale moves back down again the next day.
  • KGS01
    KGS01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same temptation, sometimes I still do but the problem with daily weighing is that you can get fluctuating results and that can't be good for your motivation.
    In the past I tried daily and I'd find it'd go up & down but overall week by week it was coming down. Also you don't loose much daily anyways, so you're going to get a better picture if you wait a week or longer.

I weigh myself every Saturday morning. If I don't see a dip, I did something wrong.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I record once a week (on Sundays). I step on the scale most mornings just to have a peekaboo. (I have to admit...especially the week after TOM when I get a bit of a woosh!)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    eilz2000 wrote: »
    I do it once a week so I can get an average for the weeks loss.

Just to say, you can't get an average from only one point of data. To get a weekly average you have to weigh more than once a week. Otherwise it's like trying to get the average pay for employees in a given company by choosing one random employee and saying that his pay must be the average - you might randomly pick the CEO. There's nothing wrong with weighing once a week, but you're not getting a weekly average doing that.

To answer OP's question, I weigh everyday and record it in a spreadsheet.
  • TrueQuest
    TrueQuest Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everyday but I'm trying to get into the habit checking 3 times a week at most.
  • EttaWB
    EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Every morning but my official weigh-in is Sunday. Occasionally I'll skip a day. It sometimes helps me deal with fluctuations. If I see the scale go up, I try to do better that day and sometimes the next. I tried the weekly thing and I wondered all week. Yes, I could work on controlling it but why. If it doesn't cause psychological harm, it's okay. Some might call it psychological and that's okay too. Everyone should do what works for them, be it daily, weekly, monthly or not at all (non-weight victories). Checking daily may also be due to me having so much to lose. Will this change after I reach my goal. Time and my mind will tell. Best,
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    After reading the suggestion on here, I recently got the Happy Scale app and began weighing every day. I thought it would drive me a little nuts to weigh daily, but I think it's going to do a better job at keeping me on track with my daily decisions food-wise. I'm less likely to take a cheat day, which was a big problem of mine before.
  • katieboulby
    katieboulby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies - didn't realise there were already a few threads for this topic!
  • katieboulby
    katieboulby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think I'll go daily but only record once a week, as weekly weigh ins don't seem to have worked for me in the past, and I might be less tempted to cheat!
  • Bruery
    Bruery Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I started it was weekly... and I would experience the ups and downs of a good and bad week... I finally decided to go to a monthly weigh in for a few reasons. One - a scale should never be allowed to dictate your success. Your success can be measured with tape or just by the fact you are forming new habits...
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday of every month.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks ago I converted from weighing only once a month to daily weighing, following suggestions from a recent thread (thanks @rabbitjb ). I signed up to fitbit and trendweight.com accounts, and even though I don't have a fitbit gizmo I enter my weight on the fitbit site each morning, and this automatically feeds into trendweight and produces a graph of overall progress.

Previous to this I was always against the idea of daily weighing as I thought it was too obsessive, but it really does help you understand the effects of water weight, sodium, TOM etc and not freak out over temporary overnight gains.
  • stevenjouweng
    stevenjouweng Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record everyday right when I wake up and pee. At the end of the week I do an average. You start to see a trend of how your body works! After a while, you can almost precisely predict how your body will react depending on certain foods you consume.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing about modern scales is that they are too accurate for what they are used for. Normal fluctuations from day to day, due to water retention and food digestion, can mask up to a month of true weight gain or loss. Some women even have a pattern following their monthly cycle.

If you weigh weekly, it's no way of knowing if you may have hit a low or high.

I would recommend weighing either daily or monthly, accepting the fluctuations, and looking at the trend. Do whatever works for you. But weigh under the same conditions every time - same scales, same place, on solid surface, in similar clothes (preferably none), after bathroom, before drinking and eating.

I weigh every day and do the same as dammitjanet0161 - I have used Trendweight for almost a year, but I still don't understand what really cause my fluctuations, and I'm not sure if the summary/feedback is what I need, so I've started to do a weekly average too. I won't change up anything until I see a month of steady gain or loss. (I'm maintaining - and I went from weekly to daily as I approached maintenance.)
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    MissAbbee wrote: »
    There's quite a lot of threads on this already if you have a quick search :smile:
    I weigh everyday and track on an app called Happy Scale, shows you an average line so even if you fluctuate by like 4lbs it will show you the average over the last week etc.

I've had more success this way but only because mentally I've got a bit stronger. When I would see a huge fluctuation in the past I'd reach for a chocolate bar but now I know it's part of a process, carry on how I was and low and behold, the scale moves back down again the next day.

I have recently started using happy scale too! I really like it.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week (Thursday morning) and record it for monitoring my weight loss over time.

But in periods I also weigh in every day or several times a day without recording it for weight loss, but to get a feel for what my fluctuations over a shorter period of time (week or day).

So depending on what I want to use the results for I adapt my measuring intervals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies - didn't realise there were already a few threads for this topic!

Yep ... someone posts this topic just about as often as I weigh myself.

I weigh myself pretty much every day. :)

I find it interesting to see all the fluctuations.

And if you read back several pages ... skim the topics, say, 10 pages back ... you'll see what we mean. :smiley:

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My doctor and insurance company require me to weigh once a month on the 19th. This is the weight I log.

I weigh once a week, Tuesday morning before eating, just for my own edification. I sometimes miss this or do it Monday or Wednesday.

If I weigh during the day, it's usually to giggle over how much I lost just because I peed.