Low calorie intake the reason for lack of strength at gym?

Options
Im brand new to weight training, in fact brand new to any training and Im in the mind set of needing a good program to stick to that helps me shed pounds and gets me toned all over (isnt that what we all want?). Always had a beer belly because, well I like a beer and I am also very familiar with crisps and peanuts! I dont eat takeaways and home cook mostly. I tend to eat high protein when I can but just cant seem to shift weight. Ive decided to start running 2 nights a week, 5k or so, and then 3 nights at the gym concentrating on weights so that I can get rid of some of this lard that I have been carrying around for the best part of my life. I am a new dad and want to be strong and fit for the years to come. If I had a decent program to stick to I believe I could do it in 8 weeks

Replies

• emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do what in 8 weeks? How much weight do you want to lose? What are you eating? And what do you consider low calorie? I'm a woman but am sustaining 1200 calories while exercising 6 days a week. Now I only do intense workouts 3 days a week but do still incorporate some muscle building the other 3 days.

I keep a very high protein intake and do not eat processed carbs, including bread. But that is mostly for medical reasons. Bread and beer will cause bloating in most people so cut most of that out. You don't have to be low carb just stick to smaller portions and watch the type you eat. Carbs turn into sugar in the body.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    seanh2610 wrote: »
    Im brand new to weight training, in fact brand new to any training and Im in the mind set of needing a good program to stick to that helps me shed pounds and gets me toned all over (isnt that what we all want?). Always had a beer belly because, well I like a beer and I am also very familiar with crisps and peanuts! I dont eat takeaways and home cook mostly. I tend to eat high protein when I can but just cant seem to shift weight. Ive decided to start running 2 nights a week, 5k or so, and then 3 nights at the gym concentrating on weights so that I can get rid of some of this lard that I have been carrying around for the best part of my life. I am a new dad and want to be strong and fit for the years to come. If I had a decent program to stick to I believe I could do it in 8 weeks

A few beginner's programs that you can google:
    • Starting Strength (a book you should read but you can find details online)
    • 5/3/1 beginner (also a book and then you can use blackironbeast.com as a calculator)
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    • ICF 5x5 (Stronglifts 5x5 + accessories)
    • AllPro's simple beginner plan

Don't try to rush the weight loss. You don't appear to have that much to lose. You'd be better served by eating in a reasonable deficit and lifting weights with your bit of running than you would by trying to lose the weight as quickly as possible. Being "fit for the years to come" is a long term process.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Starting a low carb diet can make you tired (low carb flu). You don't need low carb to lose weight.....just lower calories. Meet your protein and fat goals...carbs are "whatever." Not nearly as important (unless you have medical issues). You can even eat bread (!!) and still lose weight. Beer....you need to log that and account for it. Plenty of people fit that in too (all things in moderation).

Lifestyle changes.....give up the things you will give up forever (so you can keep the weight from coming back). A very small percentage of people keep the weight off.

Strength training can help you RETAIN a larger percentage of lean muscle (while eating at a deficit).....but if you add any lean muscle it will only be a miniscule amount. Adding cardio is great too, it burns more calories & is good for the heart.

As you lose weight the existing lean muscle will become visible....your weight training is not "burning fat."

A decent "program" is calories in - calories out (CICO)....no magic. Measure & log your regular meals.....move more. Have patience.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You do need some fuel to perform well at the weight room, lowering them carbs won't really help with that, just ahm like people said, mind what you eat and how much of it you eat, I recommend to actually cut on stuff like soda and fast food, like, I have 1 Dr. Pepper can a year,once a year and that is it,so it's not like giving it up forever you see.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    seanh2610 wrote: »

your issue is how much you're eating, not your exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So how many calories are you eating?

The cardio will give you more to eat and improve your cardiovascular health and the weights will help preserve your LBM...

You can't out exercise a bad diet so you still need to weigh and log
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    Do what in 8 weeks? How much weight do you want to lose? What are you eating? And what do you consider low calorie? I'm a woman but am sustaining 1200 calories while exercising 6 days a week. Now I only do intense workouts 3 days a week but do still incorporate some muscle building the other 3 days.

I keep a very high protein intake and do not eat processed carbs, including bread. But that is mostly for medical reasons. Bread and beer will cause bloating in most people so cut most of that out. You don't have to be low carb just stick to smaller portions and watch the type you eat. Carbs turn into sugar in the body.

You're eating back exercise calories right?

Prepare for mind blowing ...excess calories, no matter where they are from, turn into fat in the body :open_mouth:
  • fitmap73
    fitmap73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Focus on lifting and your diet. Instead of running 5k, walk the same distance. Walking burns more calories for the distance, doesn't trigger a fat storage response, and is easier on joints too.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    fitmap73 wrote: »
    Focus on lifting and your diet. Instead of running 5k, walk the same distance. Walking burns more calories for the distance, doesn't trigger a fat storage response, and is easier on joints too.

what? :huh: :noway:

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm with the people that say focus on diet and eat back exercise calories. Also, go for the slow road and build healthy habits instead of going for the quick fix.

As far as I am aware, the only true statement in that walking post is it being easier on the joints...
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I'm with the people that say focus on diet and eat back exercise calories. Also, go for the slow road and build healthy habits instead of going for the quick fix.

As far as I am aware, the only true statement in that walking post is it being easier on the joints...
    ^^^THIS^^^

She's reading my mail...lol

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

If you're not a runner, you might find that 5k is more than you can comfortably run at first. Walking is a great gateway exercise to running. It does not burn more calories per mile than running, and I have no idea what Toad is saying about fat storage response. It is, though, easier on the joints.

• TavistockToad
    Options

If you're not a runner, you might find that 5k is more than you can comfortably run at first. Walking is a great gateway exercise to running. It does not burn more calories per mile than running, and I have no idea what Toad is saying about fat storage response. It is, though, easier on the joints.

i haven't said ANYTHING about fat storage response....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WTF are people reading on their screens?!?!?!
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    emmalpoppy wrote: »

You're eating back exercise calories right?

Prepare for mind blowing ...excess calories, no matter where they are from, turn into fat in the body :open_mouth:

I do not eat back all of them but am netting 1200 calories. Basically I eat when I'm hungry.

I never said anything about all calories just carbs and sugar.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

i haven't said ANYTHING about fat storage response....

I beg your pardon. I made a dreadful mistake of reading the quote tags wrong. fitmap73 is out to lunch about fat storage response. TavistockToad, I am very ashamed of the incorrect attribution. Please forgive me.