question for the MFP "Pro's"

Options
I have done fantastic with MFP, better than I'd ever dreamed of!
My life is sooo much better now that I look AND feel great! I've got tons more confidence now, and am just soooooo much happier these days!
Everything is going just great, but, even with losing the weight and doing so great, I've got a problem, and I want to know if there are others with the same issue.
Any time I go to a party, or out to dinner, (which luckily isn't that often!) I pig out. During the holidays, I ended up sick to my stomach because I ate sooo much, ESPECIALLY chocolate!
Now, wouldn't you think I would have learned my lesson after the second, or even third time?! NOPE!
I went out again on New Year's Eve, and pigged out AGAIN! Besides ALL the regular snacks, I ate a brownie and 2 chocolate chip cookies. And THEN, because the cookies were so darned good, I ate another 4 or 5 of em!
I guess even though I've lost the weight, I haven't yet LEARNED better eating habits, and the whole "lifestyle change" thing!
Are there others like me, or am I alone with my problem?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I have done fantastic with MFP, better than I'd ever dreamed of!
    My life is sooo much better now that I look AND feel great! I've got tons more confidence now, and am just soooooo much happier these days!
    Everything is going just great, but, even with losing the weight and doing so great, I've got a problem, and I want to know if there are others with the same issue.
    Any time I go to a party, or out to dinner, (which luckily isn't that often!) I pig out. During the holidays, I ended up sick to my stomach because I ate sooo much, ESPECIALLY chocolate!
    Now, wouldn't you think I would have learned my lesson after the second, or even third time?! NOPE!
    I went out again on New Year's Eve, and pigged out AGAIN! Besides ALL the regular snacks, I ate a brownie and 2 chocolate chip cookies. And THEN, because the cookies were so darned good, I ate another 4 or 5 of em!
    I guess even though I've lost the weight, I haven't yet LEARNED better eating habits, and the whole "lifestyle change" thing!
    Are there others like me, or am I alone with my problem?
  • fearlessliving
    fearlessliving Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My drug of choice is sugar. Baked goods is my downfall and I can eat and eat and eat them until the cows come home. It takes me 3 days to get rid of the craving for sweets. If I even put one cookie or even a yogurt that has a lot of sugar in it in my mouth after going a week or two without sweets, it's back on the roller coaster. I feel like an alcoholic in AA.... once you quit, you HAVE to quit. PERIOD. Not one drop or it's over. It's hard though. I :heart: my sweets! I'm trying to moderate while losing weight here. I've had yogurt so far, but thankfully haven't had any sweets since I started MFP.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have not lost all the weight I have wanted to yet.. But I can relate!! I have been doing this for almost a year and with salt and vinegar chips I will eat a HUGE bag and the next day feel really gross and sick.. yet I continue to do it! Somehow... I am slowly learning.. Lots of times I did eat until I was sick! During christmas I had one plate of food and not much either.. I was so proud of myself for not over eating... Then around 10pm I had another HUGE plate of food just because I wanted to.. and then over stuffed myself..

What Im trying to do is just eat when im hungry and have small amounts of the good things... Thats all you can really do... Always remember to eat clean foods. Lots of fruits and veggies! You can always eat a lot of them for the most part! haha
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Not a pro.... but very familiar with the chocolate chip cookies! Hehe.

I think that we tend to lose it in the presence of baked goods when we are feeling deprived. Have you been chocolate chip cookie abstinent for a long time?

I try to allow myself regular treats. I can keep oreos in the house (without eatting the whol box) and have two a few times a week. If I feel a chocolate craving, I have a little. If I am needing salt, I have one serving of reduced fat chips. I find that I cannot avoid the binges if I avoid the cravings. If you deny yourself, eventually you do cave and it happens in a big way!

I am also wondering if you were extra stressed during the holidays? I know I went overboard thanks to hosting my first ever Christmas dinner and being totally strapped for cash. Felt better to just eat! If that is it, coming to the message boards is a great way to deal and then of course going to the gym will help, too! :flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    yup.... totaly can relate,,

when i go out to the restaurants.. i have a hard time to eat healthy, one of the reason is that im a vegetarian and its hard enough to find something veggie that the healthy part goes out the window, but then again .. thats just an excuse..

i find that keeping fun size chocolate for 1 threat once in a while helps.. if i cut it out totaly i will end up in a magnificent binge and then its all down hill...

good luck !
  • melissa91971
    Options
    Of course we can relate!

We didn't come to this site because we have good eating habits!:laugh: lol right?

Any way, I just want you to know so many people out there overdo it but you should look at it this way ....
    You ARE learning! You recognize the bad habits now were you probably just dismissed them before.
    You have come a long way and have got to your goal! That didn't happen splurging ALL the time.
    So...
    You should be proud of your accomplishments and just keep at it! Even when we reach our goal we need to work at maintaining right?!

Just stay focused. Don't forget how far you've come and how you DON'T want to go back!

with:heart:
    ~Mel
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Not a pro.... but very familiar with the chocolate chip cookies! Hehe.

I think that we tend to lose it in the presence of baked goods when we are feeling deprived. Have you been chocolate chip cookie abstinent for a long time?

I try to allow myself regular treats. I can keep oreos in the house (without eatting the whol box) and have two a few times a week. If I feel a chocolate craving, I have a little. If I am needing salt, I have one serving of reduced fat chips. I find that I cannot avoid the binges if I avoid the cravings. If you deny yourself, eventually you do cave and it happens in a big way!

I am also wondering if you were extra stressed during the holidays? I know I went overboard thanks to hosting my first ever Christmas dinner and being totally strapped for cash. Felt better to just eat! If that is it, coming to the message boards is a great way to deal and then of course going to the gym will help, too! :flowerforyou:

Yes, I hadn't had any cookies in a long time, but even still, you'd think that I'd KNOW not to eat soooo many of em, after all the hard work of losing the weight! Even with the weight loss, if I HAD chocolates and baked goods in the house, I WOULD be pigging out on them! So it's better for me to NOT have them hanging around to tempt me. I find I CAN have the will power (most of the time!) to NOT eat that stuff, but, I also find that once I do cave and have one, it will ALWAYS lead to a LOT more! I just thought that by now I WOULD have learned how to eat right, but, I haven't!
    No to the being stressed part of your message. I work at a school so I've been on vacation, and have just been relaxing and enjoying my time off! No stress at all! :smile:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Of course we can relate!

We didn't come to this site because we have good eating habits!:laugh: lol right?

Any way, I just want you to know so many people out there overdo it but you should look at it this way ....
    You ARE learning! You recognize the bad habits now were you probably just dismissed them before.
    You have come a long way and have got to your goal! That didn't happen splurging ALL the time.
    So...
    You should be proud of your accomplishments and just keep at it! Even when we reach our goal we need to work at maintaining right?!

Just stay focused. Don't forget how far you've come and how you DON'T want to go back!

with:heart:
    ~Mel

Thanks Mel. I DO recognize my bad habit, I'd just like to "fix it"! :laugh:
    I DEFINITELY need to keep at it with MFP, because you're soooooo right, I DON'T want to EVER go back to the way I was before!
    Thanks for your comments. :smile:
  • Jackson347
    Options
    SALT AND V ARE MY DOWNFALL.
    I love them but they not helpin me get from 140 pounds to 100 pounds.
    I cut them out completly lately and its makes a huge difference...
  • BrenNew
    Options
    My drug of choice is sugar. Baked goods is my downfall and I can eat and eat and eat them until the cows come home. It takes me 3 days to get rid of the craving for sweets. If I even put one cookie or even a yogurt that has a lot of sugar in it in my mouth after going a week or two without sweets, it's back on the roller coaster. I feel like an alcoholic in AA.... once you quit, you HAVE to quit. PERIOD. Not one drop or it's over. It's hard though. I :heart: my sweets! I'm trying to moderate while losing weight here. I've had yogurt so far, but thankfully haven't had any sweets since I started MFP.

That's my trouble, I guess I've never learned the word "moderation" when it comes to "goodies"!
    And there's no way in hel_ that I could "quit period"! And THAT'S my problem. I can stay away from the stuff for just so long, and then it's "pig out time"!
    Maybe SOME DAY I'll learn, I hope so anyway! :smile:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    I have not lost all the weight I have wanted to yet.. But I can relate!! I have been doing this for almost a year and with salt and vinegar chips I will eat a HUGE bag and the next day feel really gross and sick.. yet I continue to do it! Somehow... I am slowly learning.. Lots of times I did eat until I was sick! During christmas I had one plate of food and not much either.. I was so proud of myself for not over eating... Then around 10pm I had another HUGE plate of food just because I wanted to.. and then over stuffed myself..

What Im trying to do is just eat when im hungry and have small amounts of the good things... Thats all you can really do... Always remember to eat clean foods. Lots of fruits and veggies! You can always eat a lot of them for the most part! haha

"Small amounts of the good things", huh? THAT'S what I haven't figured out how to do yet, and don't know if I EVER will! Thanks for the advice though! :flowerforyou: