Why do you fear plus size clothing stores?

Options
I work at a plus size clothing store. I wont say where or what company because I don't want it to turn into some corporate nightmare and get fired. I can't tell you the amount of people who come in and say "I'm fat. Hide me in big clothes" or "I only wear boring clothes cause I'm fat." So many times I've tried to push customers to get the larger size because the cut of the shirt or bra size just fits better and will flatter them. I know what looks good on plus size women because I make it an effort to look good, no matter my size. I guess I'm writing this A) to try and understand the POV of other women on clothing and as a PSA to say forget what the brand is and the size. Wear what flatters and fits you and you WILL look better than in something that is too tight or big. Fashion fits every body type and size. It's just a matter of educating yourself on what works with your body.
P.S. This is a mindset I've had even when I was gaining weight. This isn't just a confidence from loosing 30 lbs.

Replies

• tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I just find it hard to find clothes that fit! i have a large bust so my waist size has to be huge and then I look like I am wearing a tent. there is no shape to plus size clothes and I have yet to find a brand that does allow for the curves.
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    Have you tried belts to help cinch it in at your waist to show curves?
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a man who used to have to buy in the plus-size store, I just hated that they were ridiculously expensive. Some of the pants and shirts had a $20 mark up on them, and they were much cheaper at "normal" sizes in a regular store.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I used to work in a plus size clothing store, and during that time I had the best self-esteem and body acceptance that I ever have had. It's about embracing your size at every part of your journey and finding clothes that fit well and look good. Who cares what store it comes from as long as you think you look good.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The prices for one. Everything I bought at the plus size shops was about double (which does make sense since it is a lot more fabric). That and there was such a limited quantity of things in my size. All I could wear were "Big Dog" t-shirts or t-shirts of classic rock bands, or a f***ing pocket polo.
  • gabeswife
    gabeswife Posts: 5
    Options
    I just hate shopping because I am so tall. When I have lost weight and been SO excite to shop at a regular store I am so broken hearted when I remember no where has clothes that look right on me. They just don't make clothes for 6'1'' women; fat or thin.

I agree about the mark up. I don't feel like I deserve clothes that cost that much. Twisted thinking maybe. But I feel like if I can't take care of my body in a healthy manner, then why should get to buy expensive clothes?
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    I used to work in a plus size clothing store, and during that time I had the best self-esteem and body acceptance that I ever have had. It's about embracing your size at every part of your journey and finding clothes that fit well and look good. Who cares what store it comes from as long as you think you look good.

Amen!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Keep on trying!

A few years ago, I did a "do it yourself what not to wear" instead of going on vacation, and was it enlightening! My fashion consultant really educated me in terms of sizes and proper "fit" and that size was just a number. Our day started out with a proper bra fitting, which made such a difference! Then she educated me about buying bigger sizes that fit the biggest part of you, and getting a tailor to adjust the clothes. I could not believe how good I looked - and yes, even in a plus size.

Unfortunately (or fortunately!) I am no longer able to fit into these clothes, but I have taken the lessons learned with me. I had to go shopping for smaller pants this weekend . Go with the fit, and know what the "easy" adjustments are. Try stuff on, and if it doesn't look right, put it back. Buy stuff that looks fabulous on you, and you will feel more confident -- no matter what size you are today.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I buy what fits my shape...I have an hourglass so certain things look better on me. I don't wear tight clothes, but I don't wear baggy clothes. I think people should embrace what body that they have (even if it is going to change.)

The bad thing about plus-size clothing stores is pretty much always the price, to me. But, it's worth it for good quality!
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    I'm actually 6'1" as well. I have jeans from Torrid and Lane Bryant. Both fit my length really well. Torrid also has Extra Tall jeans and Lane Bryant's dress pants are very long at Tall
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I completely agree that wearing a larger size that fits you better does make a HUGE, positive difference.

That said, I personally find that the selection of clothing and even colours/patterns available to me in plus sized stores are not nearly as good as "regular" stores. The prices also suck.

I also have the problem of wavering around size 14-16, which is AWFUL because its never very available in either regular or plus-sized stores.
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wore larger clothes (size large tops and 12 pants) right after my son was born. I can't believe I just publicly admitted that :) I wear between a size 2-4 now and a x-small and small. I find that the clothing is in fact cheaper and there is a much wider variety in the size that I am in. It was SO FRUSTRATING not only when I was pregnant but when I was post partum. I lived in t-shirts and jeans. It was wretched... same with shoes. The bigger the size, the less options.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To the girl with the big bust, I feel your pain. I went to 7 different clothing stores this past weekend to find a simple dress. Anything that would fit my bust made me look like I was wearing a moo-moo. But the idea of the belt to cinch sounds like a really great idea :)

About this topic. I've seen ads for plus sized clothing stores and think "wow that's nicer than a lot of stuff I've seen in other stores." I believe I'm thinking of Torid? They had really cute clothes. I didn't really look into the prices, but I have seen in some department stores that the plus sized section seems to have more expensive clothing than the petite section. So it may be an issue of price maybe? I think some people have a mental thing about the size in their clothes too.
    I know for a long time if I could get away with wearing a size small shirt I would make myself fit into it somehow. Now I realize that it's stupid to do that because I look better in the Medium or Large or whatever, and it's not like anybody else is going to look at the tag on my shirt or pants and say "oh my you wear a size...!" Guess it's the whole thing of... "I think I can fit into the medium?" Like I want to tell myself right now that I can fit into a size 7 again... but they dont' go past the top of my thighs. Maybe one day....
  • nedasdaughter
    nedasdaughter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a size 6 in high school women's pants never fit me right. If they fit in the hips then they were too big in the waist...The best fitting clothes I ever bought were at Lane Bryant and I fought going for so long because I didnt want to admit to myself that I had let my self control get so far away from me. I did learn however that the better the fit the better I looked and felt. :) I advocate plus sized stores!
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For me, it's several factors.

1) The price. Yes, it costs more to make a shirt bigger. However, as I also am rather adept at using my sewing machine, I know that the difference between a shirt in size XS versus one in 3XL is about $2-$5 in fabric. Like, it's *ridiculously* little. So I go into the stores and just CRINGE, knowing I'm going to be paying out the backside for clothes that fit... and probably paying $50 for the "convenience" of having clothes that cover my body.

2) The cut. Very nearly everything I've ever seen in plus sizes is designed to be an effing tent. There is nothing else for it. It's like the companies all have collectively decided that there is nothing worse than a fat woman looking good. She must ALWAYS be clothed in tents or robes, and never anything form fitting (not second skin, mind, but cut to curves!) or flattering.

3) The PATTERNS. Oh, GOD, the PATTERNS. Everything is always in some kind of African Safari print. I think it's all the same zoological fabric store. Everything is done up in antelopes, zebra stripes, has big ol' lions everywhere... It's AWFUL. It takes dedicated effort to find something in must a pinstripe, or just plain.

For Men, as my DH is 6'4" 350+

Point 1 remains the same.

Point 2 is a little better, as men tend to wear pretty much the same stuff, and my DH is easy to please.

Point 3 is a non-issue. For some reason, overweight men are not subjected to the Safari Treatment.

However, men get point 4: There is NOTHING in the way of selection. You get to choose from four t-shirts in six colors each, two screen prints, or dress shirts. Pants are about as bad. You get "jeans" or "khakis." The khaki option comes in khaki (duh) or black. Good luck finding socks, and shoes under $150 are a rare treat - even for plain ol' sneakers.
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    Torrid has absolutely adorable patterns and clothes. Not to mention I've noticed Lane Bryant is making a change to more causal/dressy jean looks. Been in there recently and I wanted to buy the whole store lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's not only 'plus-sized' clients who don't know what size they wear! Years ago I worked in retail and it was very difficult to get some women into the size that actually fit them, even though it looked much better!

And ladies, get used to the idea of tailoring. Nearly all women can benefit from tailoring their clothes. You can make a $500 garment look hideous and cheap by failing to tailor it, and a $50 grarment look far more expensive by investing $15 of tailoring. Definitely worth it!
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    As far pricing goes raid those mark downs. They might be limited but I've gotten steals tanks for $3 or jeans for $8 at places like Lane Bryant. Also the Moo moo effect can often be taken care of with belts to show waist lines. Its a method used by stylists for all body types.
  • Sprinkie09
    Sprinkie09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ive ALWAYS been a big girl. Plus size clothing was all i could fit into so thats what I made myself look good. YES, lots of PS store carry the boring clothes... no style no sense of 'umph' for us bigger women-BUT i learned to accesories. Id wear belts to show my curves, scarves, ect... no need to cover urself up into a bag... show who you are :)

I was a sz. 26 standing @ 5'0. Im currently a Sz.16. Goal is to be a sz .10.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just hate shopping because I am so tall. When I have lost weight and been SO excite to shop at a regular store I am so broken hearted when I remember no where has clothes that look right on me. They just don't make clothes for 6'1'' women; fat or thin.

I agree about the mark up. I don't feel like I deserve clothes that cost that much. Twisted thinking maybe. But I feel like if I can't take care of my body in a healthy manner, then why should get to buy expensive clothes?

I feel the same way. :) I'll buy myself clothes when I deserve to.