TDEE?

Options
Quick question about TDEE. Mine is around 2100, so is this how many calories my body burns per day or what? Also, does this number include the number of calories burned during any given workout, or would that number be added to the TDEE burn?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The total amount your body burns from everything you do.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Exenditure.....this should be maintenance and you should have included workouts. What TDEE does is average the workout calories for the week. This is great if you know that exercise will be consistent for you. You just take the deficit off the top. If you want to log workouts in MFP....override the count to 1.

MFP doesn't include exercise which is good for inconsistent exercisers. But, it does create an up/down calorie kind of thing.
  • ekat1257
    ekat1257 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! To further the question, let me give an example. Like you said, it averages out the calories I work off through excersise, but say I do a lot of HIIT cardio (which is true). A half got session with HIIT can burn like, 500+ calories. Does TDEE count that? Or is that extra calories burned on top of TDEE?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ekat1257 wrote: »
    Thanks all! To further the question, let me give an example. Like you said, it averages out the calories I work off through excersise, but say I do a lot of HIIT cardio (which is true). A half got session with HIIT can burn like, 500+ calories. Does TDEE count that? Or is that extra calories burned on top of TDEE?

TDEE includes exercise, all of it.

If you are eating at TDEE and losing weight, your TDEE is higher.
    Any TDEE calculator is an estimate. A starting point. You need to fine tune it to figure out where yours is really at.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ekat1257 wrote: »
    Total amount from everything. If you do it, it's part of everything.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    i guess my question would be, how are you estimating TDEE? Are you getting it from a FitBit? Or website? Or...?
  • ekat1257
    Options
    Website. Fitnessfrog.com
  • WBB55
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok, so on that one you select a general activity estimate. You would include your workouts in that activity estimate. For instance, if you workout 3-5 days per week then the TDEE it gives you includes your workouts.

For me (based on real world tracking) my TDEE is actually between light and moderate on that calculator. But that took some trial and error and a FitBit to figure out.
  • ekat1257
    Options
    Alright cool. I put myself at moderate to start, because I usually do 5 "real" workouts each week, a day of stretching and yoga, and then a rest day, but I'll see how that goes. Turns out I've been under-eating majorly, so I'm making some adjustments. Thanks for everyone's help!
  • WBB55
    Options
    I don't know about "real." I run 3x per week. Walk 5+ miles per day and skate twice per week, but I fall somewhere between that calculator's "light" and "moderate" categories. Personally if you do 5 plus some light stuff, I'd say cut the difference between light and moderate until you have more personal data to go off of.

Come back to the forums any time for advice. Everyone here loves to chime in with their thoughts and experiences.