Discouraged

Options
I'm so discouraged. I have gone to gym everyday for 3 weeks and I'm running and doing cardio and lifting a few weights and I am not
Losing weight. I lost one stupid lb. in 2 weeks. I never reach 1200 calories usually around 1000 calories a day and it's all clean...veggies, salad, yogurt, lean protein...
What is up with that? Please help!!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for more accurate information.

Also if your ticker is correct then you are losing a healthy amount per week.
  • christianladybug
    christianladybug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are not feeding your body enough. Try upping your calories if possible to 1400.
  • Naturally_sassy0525
    Naturally_sassy0525 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need to eat more.
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sounds like you are not feeding your body enough. Try upping your calories if possible to 1400.

CI<CO so how would increasing calories= lose more weight.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    half a pound a week is a pretty normal loss for someone with only 20 or so pounds to lose. perhaps your expectations need more adjusting than your diet?
  • jlt2595
    jlt2595 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What's happening is that you are not feeding your body enough during the day..then when you go to work out you are buring muscle instead of fat.

Please also remember if you are working out and building muscle you cannot go by the scale. Measure the inches :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jlt2595 wrote: »
    What's happening is that you are not feeding your body enough during the day..then when you go to work out you are buring muscle instead of fat.

Please also remember if you are working out and building muscle you cannot go by the scale. Measure the inches :)

Care to elaborate on bold?

• the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

If you eat too few calories your body will put any food you give it into storage, rather than burn it for energy. 1200 is a generic minimum before you go into "starvation mode". You can eat less than that for a couple days, but beyond that it does more harm than good, as far as weight loss is concerned.
  • jlt2595
    Options
    Oops; sorry didn't even realized that it went bold. and then I misspelt a word (guess that's what happens when I'm trying to multi task here at work..LOL).
    It's suppose to say; when you go to workout you are burning muscle instead of fat.

Sorry :(
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    Options
    the_texreb wrote: »

If you eat too few calories your body will put any food you give it into storage, rather than burn it for energy. 1200 is a generic minimum before you go into "starvation mode". You can eat less than that for a couple days, but beyond that it does more harm than good, as far as weight loss is concerned.

No it does not. So much outdated information in this thread. I really have no idea where you heard the bold.

You are talking about adaptive thermogenesis. It takes longer than a couple days.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Oops; sorry didn't even realized that it went bold. and then I misspelt a word (guess that's what happens when I'm trying to multi task here at work..LOL).
    It's suppose to say; when you go to workout you are burning muscle instead of fat.

Sorry :(

I made it bold because it makes no sense. What about people who workout in a fasted state? They are burning muscle instead of fat?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you've just started a new workout regemine, you're likely retaining water due to increase cortisol levels. Eating at a large deficit and working out a lot can also increase cortisol levels, and so this can mask possible weight loss. (More info: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/)

Add that to the fact that you have in fact lost weight, your expectations don't seem very reasonable. Set a moderate deficit, eat to your calorie goal, log accurately, and give it time.
  • jlt2595
    Options
    I was just relaying what I have been told by my trainer....I'm by no means a professional....Just relaying a message
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You should be eating back some although that is not the cause of lack of weight loss.

You should not be working out every day--you need to have some recovery time. If you are actually only netting 1200 calories, your lack of movement on the scale is likely due to water retention.
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was just relaying what I have been told by my trainer....I'm by no means a professional....Just relaying a message
    Your trainer basically told you that working out in a fasted state burns muscle instead of fat? That is so false.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you've just started a new workout regemine, you're likely retaining water due to increase cortisol levels. Eating at a large deficit and working out a lot can also increase cortisol levels, and so this can mask possible weight loss. (More info: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/)

Add that to the fact that you have in fact lost weight, your expectations don't seem very reasonable. Set a moderate deficit, eat to your calorie goal, log accurately, and give it time.

this, I'd also add take measurements/ before and after pictures instead of relying only on the scale
  • kirving3341
    kirving3341 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back. I have been measuring as well and only had a one inch drop in my waist. That is over one month. I was shooting for 2lb a week drop.
    I have been thinking that I may not be fueling my body properly. I guess I'll experiment a little..just really don't wanna put weight back on doing that.
    What a frustrating process!!
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    All I can say to this is yep - CI need to be less than CO - that is the weight loss equation and you have lost weight....but this will be very difficult to sustain in the long term. Your body needs rest days to re-build and recover. What are you doing in the gym every day? If a day off completely blows your mind, I would recommend a day of active recovery - perhaps a walk or a light swim - but this will help your mindset. I used to be the same - all or nothing. Now I balance and it's become a way of life and weight loss is a side effect. Concentrate on how you feel not the end goal....don't exhaust yourself otherwise you will be disheartened when the weight doesn't come off. Another thing - over-training can have a detrimental impact to your immune system. I went through a bought of training like crazy and I caught every bug going. I suppose in summary, don't feel you have to go full throttle
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back. I have been measuring as well and only had a one inch drop in my waist. That is over one month. I was shooting for 2lb a week drop.
    I have been thinking that I may not be fueling my body properly. I guess I'll experiment a little..just really don't wanna put weight back on doing that.
    What a frustrating process!!

At 1000 calories a day (provided your logging is 100% accurate), no you aren't fueling your body, but that wouldn't cause you to lose slower. As stated above, with only twenty pounds to lose, it's going to be a slow process. Change your goal to half a pound a week, eat that amount (weighed and logged) plus a portion of your exercise calories, and have patience. You should also take a look at these two threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options

the_texreb wrote: »

Wow.