Healthy Long Haul Flight

Options
My family and I are preparing to take a 14 hour flight followed by a shorter hour long flight. Between the layovers and waiting time we're looking at over 20 hours of travel total. I'm trying to figure out the healthiest way to prepare for the flight. We're flying a nice airline with decent food, but trying to decide what else to pack that will help me feel good and keep moving forward. If anyone has done this before, I'd love some tips!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    20 hours is not going to make or break your diet or health. Personally, I'd go for whatever is most convenient and easy.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're leaving in the morning, but I would try to get a big protein breakfast in, eggs sausage/bacon/veggie sausage whatever, and then not worry about it too much.

I'd be more concerned about my water intake- I get really dehydrated even on a 6 hour flight.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There are far more important things to worry about when flying internationally, right?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My family and I are preparing to take a 14 hour flight followed by a shorter hour long flight. Between the layovers and waiting time we're looking at over 20 hours of travel total. I'm trying to figure out the healthiest way to prepare for the flight. We're flying a nice airline with decent food, but trying to decide what else to pack that will help me feel good and keep moving forward. If anyone has done this before, I'd love some tips!

Honestly, having done this before, I recommend just forgetting about it and eating what you need to, to keep you going throughout the journeying. It is much easier than trying to eat healthy, and it won't do a huge amount of damage. I have never been able to manage it, and have always found it less stressful not worrying about what i'm eating (because as above poster said, you have enough to worry about flying internationally, especially if you are flying with your kids!), and just getting the journey successfully over and done with. But I will be watching this thread with interest to see if anyone else has had more success :p
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    See the doctor about getting whatever shots you may need and pills for possible problems (like traveler's diarrhea in Mexico). Much better to have the pills and not need them than be sick in a foreign country and have to rely on God Knows What kind of medical care. Some insurance companies pay for that stuff, too.

If I'm going somewhere that has any chance of iffy water, I stick to American resorts and big chain restaurants, like Hard Rock. Better to be thirsty for a few hours than sick for a week. I know the water is fine for them. It's not really bad water, but you know what I mean.

Learn the rules of wherever you're going. If gum is illegal, don't bring it. Keep an eye on your luggage. Some places shoot you if they find drugs. No arrest, no lawyer, no court. If they find drugs, they shoot you. Don't let anyone sneak the drugs into your bag.

The state department has all kinds of info for travelers - laws you should know, shots you should get, etc.

If you go somewhere that gives you a "guide" while you're in their country, don't say bad things about their government. No matter what the guide says, their job is watching you and making sure you're not anti-them. That would seem obvious, but people get stupid.

As far as food, just concentrate on not getting sick.

Drink water for a day or two before you get on the plane, if you can. Drink water the day of. Drink water on the plane. Flying is so dehydrating!

Now, watch, you'll be like, "I'm going to London," lol. I probably should've asked but now it's all typed up. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I flew to and from Okinawa twice and focused on 1. staying hydrated and 2. moving around. The first helped with the second :smile:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    See the doctor about getting whatever shots you may need and pills for possible problems (like traveler's diarrhea in Mexico). Much better to have the pills and not need them than be sick in a foreign country and have to rely on God Knows What kind of medical care. Some insurance companies pay for that stuff, too.

If I'm going somewhere that has any chance of iffy water, I stick to American resorts and big chain restaurants, like Hard Rock. Better to be thirsty for a few hours than sick for a week. I know the water is fine for them. It's not really bad water, but you know what I mean.

Learn the rules of wherever you're going. If gum is illegal, don't bring it. Keep an eye on your luggage. Some places shoot you if they find drugs. No arrest, no lawyer, no court. If they find drugs, they shoot you. Don't let anyone sneak the drugs into your bag.

The state department has all kinds of info for travelers - laws you should know, shots you should get, etc.

If you go somewhere that gives you a "guide" while you're in their country, don't say bad things about their government. No matter what the guide says, their job is watching you and making sure you're not anti-them. That would seem obvious, but people get stupid.

Drink water for a day or two before you get on the plane, if you can. Drink water the day of. Drink water on the plane. Flying is so dehydrating!

Now, watch, you'll be like, "I'm going to London," lol. I probably should've asked but now it's all typed up. :)

Just wow. There is no reason to literally jump to worst case scenarios.

As for food to bring, try to bring snacks that are easily transported. I would stay away from nuts though. Having someone go into anaphylaxis in the air is no fun.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When I fly longhaul I try to make it a priority to eat lightly. I read somewhere once that the higher the altitude the slower your digestion tends to work and how that's apparently an issue even on pressurized planes. The recommendation was more carbs, less protein and fewer calories than normal. Add that to the weird stuff that happens to your tastebuds when flying (google that if you haven't read about it before, it's interesting!) and generally I just feel a lot better when I don't eat much in the air. I drink lots of water, too.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The last time I took a long flight I carried on a bunch of snacks -- nuts, hard boiled eggs, those little round cheeses, individual containers of peanut butter, individual containers of Nutella, baby carrots, crackers, granola/protein bars, and some small candy bars (Snickers, yummmmm). The Nutella and pb might have to go into your quart sized ziplock, depends on the airline. But better to do it than to have them confiscate it. I never carry very much in my ziplock so I had plenty of room for pb.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Just wow!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Neck pillows to sleep. Inflatables are more portable.
    Copies of all the passports in a bag not where the passports are kept
    Get up and move around a bit and stretch every few hours. If you are not familiar with economy class syndrome and risk associated with DVT's, look it up.
    The cabin is pressurized to 8000 ft and the humidity is about 5-10%, so if you need another reason to drink water, there you have it.
    Eat what they serve you if you like it. If not, pack something. Other stuff may apply depending on where you are headed. Enjoy your flights.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    20 hours is not going to make or break your diet or health. Personally, I'd go for whatever is most convenient and easy.

And, this!
  • enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Packing fruit is always my way to deal with international travel. Peaches. Bananas and apples are great. The rest I just eat airline food :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Last time I went on a long flight I packed single serve almonds, bags of kale krunch, baggies of raw veggies, hard boiled eggs (yes, I brought a little cooler with me that fit nicely in my carry on). I brought some Inner Peas (for treats), I brought apples, some dark chocolate, peanut butter/pretzel nuggets, dehydrated carrot and beet slices, magazines, books, neck pillow, ibuprophen, headphones, facial wipes and gum :smile:
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually pack some granola bars or other individually packed snacks. It helps on the flight and after you get to your destination.

Also, make sure you drink tons of water on the flight to keep you hydrated. It's easy to get distracted drinking the free wine/beer with dinner and forget to drink water.
  • abigailkasky
    abigailkasky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. We lived in Brazil for three years, India for four years, and are now moving to the Middle East for the next five or so. I'm well versed in traveling, just looking for any pointers I hadn't considered before. Thanks for the reminders about drinking water and bringing my own snacks. Between that and walking the airport and airplane as often as possible I think I am set. Just trying to get in the right mind set. I appreciate the feedback.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Wow! I wish I could travel like that! I have only lived in Germany for a few years, outside of Michigan. I have traveled internationally besides that, but not as interesting as you!
  • WMLizard
    WMLizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One thing I only recently discovered, even after several long-haul flights - gas and hydration. More than about 8 hours on a plane and I'm dehydrated if I'm not really conscious to keep my fluid intake up. I also bring eye drops and saline spray for my nose. I kept thinking I was allergic to something on planes, turns out my nose was just dry.

Gas - it isn't pretty. I used to get it all the time. Finally actually put some thought into it - stopped getting soda on the flight. Try not to drink soda or beer before the flight either (at least a few hours, depending on what time you go). It isn't perfect, but I used to get awful cramps from gas, I think in part due to the pressure difference in the air. If I skip the soda and beer, much better. Wine is still fine. :) But I also try to keep that in mind with foods, like I don't get beans or eat a large amount of broccoli just before traveling.

Otherwise, I am in the minority that actually likes airplane food. I love all the little containers. Except the one time I ordered a vegetarian meal and got a vegan meal - no one wants to be all like "ooh, brownie" only to discover it's mashed-up prunes...
  • wintersyve
    wintersyve Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most airlines offer low fat/cal meals but I think you need to let them know ahead of the flight. That's what I have and I know Virgin, American Airlines, British Airways and Delta have all been able to give me this meal option but I request on booking.
    That said, no harm in asking?
  • YogaSanity
    YogaSanity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that airlines are required to serve a certain amount of calories in their set meals. In my country a 10 hour flight requires 2000 calories served (this is excluding extras like snacks and alcohol). They basically drench all the food in cheap oil to bump up the calorie count without added cost, which is how the meals look small, but are very calorific. Rules are different for different countries though, so this depends on what airline you're flying with.

I personally prefer to bring my own food, since I travel a lot and the food they serve would put me way above my calorie budget. Probably not necessary to worry about it for one day of travelling though. However, if you are planning to eat the meals served, there is no reason to pack extra snacks. You'll be getting plenty of calories.