Logging carbohydrates properly

Options
I noticed something today that made me question the way foods are logged by myself or other users.

I eat Quest bars and, for example, the Chocolate Peanut Butter has 25g of Carbohydrates (17g of fiber, 5g of Erythritol, and 3g of sugar). The net carbs is only 3g, but if added to MFP as-is then it's 25g. This seems to throw off my macros by a large amount of carbs that aren't metabolized.

Does anyone else agree that this is a potential issue when logging food?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly... I believe a lot of people had an issue with quest bars... I could be wrong though.
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly... I believe a lot of people had an issue with quest bars... I could be wrong though.

It may not just be Quest bars, but anything where the net carbs differ from the gross. Maybe it doesn't matter and carbs are carbs, period.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I track carbs and fiber. I go way over on carbs but I don't care as long as my net carbs are in line with my goals. I just have to do the math between the carbs and fiber columns.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, not net carbs. I think net carbs are a thing for people who do certain low carb plans, and as a result there are a bunch of "net carb" entries saved by low carb folks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are issues with labelling when weird ingredients are used. Quest have had issues with the FDA. Outside the US/Canada fiber isn't part of carbohydrate anyway, if you need confusing further :-)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Above is link to a script that will display net carbs on mfp on computer.