Empanadas?

Options
I am going out to dinner tonight, and know that the main course will be empanadas. No nutritional info is available, so i am looking for any general rules of thumb. Baked, i assume, will be better for me than fried. I would have thought chicken would be lower calorie than beef, but when i looked a few of them up on MFP, some of the chicken ones had way more calories. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's going to be difficult to get more than a guess. You may have to just use your best judgement and don't stuff yourself. But most importantly, enjoy! Because, mmmmm, empanadas.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Same as on the Food and Nutrition board. Cross-posting probably isn't a great idea.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    It's going to be difficult to get more than a guess. You may have to just use your best judgement and don't stuff yourself. But most importantly, enjoy! Because, mmmmm, empanadas.

I agree with this. Probably your best guestimate will have to suffice .
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Empanadas :# oh sweet memories, Wow that would be so hard, IDK I guess anything with veggies and chicken could lower the calories.
    But seriously I would just enjoy, log it the best that I can (honestly I don't log things that I don't even have a close idea of the calories) and tomorrow is a new day to get back to be accurate.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love them too much to care. I found a place here in Toronto that makes them just like my grandmother use to, so I just have one each month with salad and eat light the rest of the day and not even think about it. They're quite big though, the place is called Jumbo Empanadas.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Same as on the Food and Nutrition board. Cross-posting probably isn't a great idea.

You will notice on the forum guidelines which I'm sure you read before posting that this isn't allowed.

Plus, I totally read the thread title as 'pandas'. Now I'm disappointed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Empanadas are SO much better than pandas. :)

The restaurant gives you a choice between baked and fried? Which culture are these empanadas from?

Honestly, I can't imagine how you would accurately track these or that they would really be a part of any diet plan. You might just skip tracking this meal or call it a cheat meal.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

The restaurant gives you a choice between baked and fried? Which culture are these empanadas from?

Honestly, I can't imagine how you would accurately track these or that they would really be a part of any diet plan. You might just skip tracking this meal or call it a cheat meal.

I have honestly never heard of Empanadas. I must live under a rock :p
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

delicious fried goodness. I like fruity ones best
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

or you are not from Latin America :)

It's basically a turnover/meat pie/pasty. They are generally filled with cheese, often meat, very rarely they are sweet instead of savory. I really love a kind from Argentina called Salteñas, which originally come from Bolivia. They have green olives, raisins and herbs.

They look like this.

Empanada_Saltena.jpg
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would log a meat pie/pasty as a comparable and rock on. Or you can estimate a ?6inch? pie crust with lard/shortening, and make a guess at the fillings, then add ?150? calories for frying (which may be overstating it, as there is not *necessarily* that much oil retention in fried foods, but allowing for it doesn't hurt) and rock on.

Enjoy it, don't get hung up on the calories from one meal/over one day, make your best estimate and move on.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Sometimes the crust is a bit like a pie crust, but generally it is a stretchy, more bread-like entity...moreso the further south you go in Latin America.

The size and filling vary wildly. You don't generally get a choice about baked or fried. Certain kinds are baked, others are always fried.

Sometimes empanadas are tiny--two or three inches long--and sometimes they take up half of a plate.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

You will notice on the forum guidelines which I'm sure you read before posting that this isn't allowed.
    What does that even mean?

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    mmm empanadas.

when i eat things like this i usually log by ingredients rather than "empanada" cause you don't know in MFP how they made it. like ill log the crust, meat, cheese and any other caloric ingredient. for this one i would use pie crust to log the calories that will be comparable.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

Sorry, posting the same topic in two different boards (number 9 in the community guidelines). I thought that sentence with the context of the quote above it was simple enough to be understood.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

or you are not from Latin America :)

It's basically a turnover/meat pie/pasty. They are generally filled with cheese, often meat, very rarely they are sweet instead of savory. I really love a kind from Argentina called Salteñas, which originally come from Bolivia. They have green olives, raisins and herbs.

They look like this.

Empanada_Saltena.jpg

Ahhhhhhh, looks like what us Brits call a Cornish Pasty!!

My personal favourites are wholemeal veggie pasties; becoming more and more popular over here, meaning more availability! The calorie count is still pretty high, but so worth it.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Sorry, posting the same topic in two different boards (number 9 in the community guidelines). I thought that sentence with the context of the quote above it was simple enough to be understood.
    Yeah, but you quoted me, but I didn't post the same topic on two different boards.

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Really tough to estimate these. I've made them 100 different ways, and of course what you find on here might not be accurate anyway. Look out for heavy cheese or sometimes cream cheese/sour cream. Baked is better, but moderation is best. Of course, still enjoy! I love empanadas :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    Ah yes, but I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to OP, as I know that you would know better than to cross-post by the fact you had actually pointed out the cross-posting originally.

Apologies, as I said I thought I had made it obvious but apparently not! It's been a long day.