Macros vs. Calorie Deficient

Options
Which is better? I have always gone by calories, and now I was introduced to IIFYM (If it fits your macros), which is better or better for you? I honestly have just been doing cardio 3x a week, and weight lifting 2x a week, I weigh and measure myself, but is one better than the other? I'm curious to see from you all, especially who have had personal experience with one or the other or both. Thanks!

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Since macronutrients are the sources of calories, managing macros actually manages macros and calories. If you set your macros correctly (grams, not %), you can't go over your calorie goal without going over at least one of your macros.

If you are willing to put in the effort as far as meal planning and logging goes, the macro route will likely help more with body composition and general health. You might get lucky and randomly get a good split without minding them, but better to be sure.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think macro counting makes sure your more balanced vs calorie counting, you can get all your calories from one source and leave the others out. I have been trying to macro count but it is sure hard to get the protein it suggests without protien shakes, etc, without going over in fat or carbs. I have been eating a lot of tuna and boiled eggs.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Macros are usually a lot more optimal and allows your body a balance of all macronutrients (if your not keto or low fat). It also is a way of counting calories just by reaching or coming close to your macro levels. And if you follow it correctly, you will receive proper protein and fat amounts.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein has 4 calories
    1 gram of carbs has 4 calories
    1 gram of fat has 9 calories

Macros counting is calories counting in addition to paying more attention to detail. I personally find it more easy and flexible counting calories while aiming to hit protein and fiber, then let the rest of the calories left come from any macro.
  • Kayt10590
    Kayt10590 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all!
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I look at macros. Toward the end of my day if I need a snack my choice will be based on what I need macro wise without going over my goal.