Best exercises for people w/ RA

Options
I'm doing good so far on the weight loss, down 17 lbs since July 1st. That's just with changing the way I eat and walking a few times a week. I want to add more exercises but my rheumatoid arthritis gets in the way sometimes! Any suggestions?!? Thanks!

Replies

• nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have RA and at my highest was close to 300 pounds. I've lost about 46 pounds at this point and have found that my increased exercise has actually helped with the RA pain. In the beginning I focused on my food intake and exercised here and there, but now I exercise about 5 times a week for 45 min up to 90 min consistently. I've been on methotrexate, prednisone, and enbrel for a few years now. In the beginning I still had pain and had to take naprosyn pretty regularly, but I haven't had any RA pain in a couple of months. I'm kinda ready to come off the steroid now if my doc will let me. Feel free to add me.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Have you tried water aerobics? It can help take the pressure off sore joints and still allow you to get a work out in. I find that the exercise really helps me feel better but I have to start slower than I would like.
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how much pain you were in and the location of that pain. If you do classes, let the instructor know you have RA and they can give you low impact options or alternatives. Don't be afraid to try lifting weights as well but only incorporate them into your routine if you feel it's manageable.