Newbie Filipino Dieter

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Mawe, a 33 year old Filipino hoping to lose a lot of weight.. lol

Are there any other Filipinos here? I'm trying to lose 40 lbs, but I'm finding it hard since a lot of foods here in my country are really not conducive to dieting. Lots of sauces and frying. I love meat, so I'm thinking of grilling it rather than cooking it with sauces, etc.

I also tried the South Beach Diet, but after two days of no rice and no carbs, I felt weak and dizzy... sigh..

Replies

• Mawe
    Mawe Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Mawe, a 33 year old Filipino hoping to lose a lot of weight.. lol

Are there any other Filipinos here? I'm trying to lose 40 lbs, but I'm finding it hard since a lot of foods here in my country are really not conducive to dieting. Lots of sauces and frying. I love meat, so I'm thinking of grilling it rather than cooking it with sauces, etc.

I also tried the South Beach Diet, but after two days of no rice and no carbs, I felt weak and dizzy... sigh..
  • mermaid99
    Options
    I hear you on the no carb thing. It just doesn't work. My husband owns a BBQ and I have found you can spice up your meat to the point where you don't need any sauce. Moderation is the key! Good Luck.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I have been telling all my friends in Luzon and Visayas about MFP ... hopefully we'll have some more Pinoy's join.

Mabuhay!
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Although I've never been to the Phillipines, my last roommate was Phillipino and we would eat at his mother's house at times, so I know what you mean about the food not being too conductive to dieting. Reminds me quite a bit of some of the Cuban food I'm used to at my house (some even have the same names). You're thoughts of using spices in place of sauce is a good start. When trying to find new alternatives, you'll be surprised with how we improvise and actually sometimes enjoy our favorite foods all the more. People on this site are great and if you ever need inspiration or support, we're all there for you. Good luck!
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This site is so wonderful and surely someone can come up with some great ideas for you!!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about you all morning, but I have been too busy to get back to you. I came across this site and thought it might be helpful: http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/Low Calorie Restaurant Food Guide.htm

(Excerpt)

Filipino Food

Lower calorie foods

* Chicken tinola
    * Fish or shrimp sinigang
    * Grilled fish, seafood,chicken, or pork
    * Steamed fish or seafood
    * Steamed or sauteed vegetables
    * Pancit
    * Steamed rice
    * Fresh lumpia
    * Halo-halo with ice only (no ice cream or evaporated milk)
    * Mais con yelo
    * Fresh fruits

Higher calorie foods

* Beef or pork sinigang
    * Bulalo
    * Fried rice
    * Fried lumpia
    * Fried fish, seafood, chicken or pork
    * Kare-kare
    * Crispy pata or lechon kawali
    * Lechon
    * Halo-halo with ice cream
    * Leche flan
  • Mawe
    Mawe Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been thinking about you all morning, but I have been too busy to get back to you. I came across this site and thought it might be helpful: http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/Low Calorie Restaurant Food Guide.htm

(Excerpt)

Filipino Food

Lower calorie foods

* Chicken tinola
    * Fish or shrimp sinigang
    * Grilled fish, seafood,chicken, or pork
    * Steamed fish or seafood
    * Steamed or sauteed vegetables
    * Pancit
    * Steamed rice
    * Fresh lumpia
    * Halo-halo with ice only (no ice cream or evaporated milk)
    * Mais con yelo
    * Fresh fruits

Higher calorie foods

* Beef or pork sinigang
    * Bulalo
    * Fried rice
    * Fried lumpia
    * Fried fish, seafood, chicken or pork
    * Kare-kare
    * Crispy pata or lechon kawali
    * Lechon
    * Halo-halo with ice cream
    * Leche flan

hey, wow, this is really helpful, tweber!! I've been looking for a list like this for several months now... glad to see that after one day in MFP, things are already looking up for me. thanks a lot!!
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi

I joined here about a week ago and love it. I think this is only my 2nd post though , I mainly use the diary but when I saw you talking about Filipino foods I felt I had to comment :)

I am not Filipino but my close friends are..and wouldn''t you know what I got for Christmas....Cassava cake!!!!...

I portioned out a few tiny peices and they are in my freezer ..then I gave the rest away..I am afraid to eat even a little because once I start I can't stop.

Oh and I love Halo Halo also...luckily you can make it lower cal by skipping the cream and healthier by adding more beans and chickpeas....

Good luck and welcome.
  • mel_renee
    mel_renee Posts: 15
    Options
    This list is great!!! I am a fellow filipino and I find it sooo hard to stay away from the rice!

Thanks for the list, i'll definetly refer to it often :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site, I do. This site is great, it is so supportive, helpful, motivational, and easy to use.Everyone is really nice here too. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • annarefuerzo
    Options
    I'm pretty new on MFP too (tracking for about a week...lost 1.8 lbs so far). I am
    following a low-carb eating style so if I do have rice, I make it 1/4 or 1/3 cup at night when my family sits down to a Filipino meal. I try not to add
    Any more sugar in the meal. I am
    trying to just eat in moderation and make better choices overall. Let's do this!
  • RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fellow Filipino here. I don't have special diets or anything. I also don't deprive myself from pastries and desserts that I love (I'm a sucker for sweets!) I just track everything thru MFP. Moderation is the key ;) (Well, based on my experience). Good luck!