Low Fat High Salt?

Options
I am trying to get the fat content down. I am hearing low fat is just as deadly.. What to do? Low fat and low sodium then turns to cardboard...

Any ideas?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eat as little processed food as possible. Manufacturers use sugar, fat, and sodium for flavor. When one is labelled ad "low" the other 2 are higher. Without fail. Read. The. Label.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There are minimum RDAs for protein ( 0.8g/kg ) and fat ( 25-30g/day ) that you should meet. Beyond that, your macro content is largely preferential, unless you have an existing medical condition you have to account for.

The fact that it can be and is preferential is what leads to the dozens of different diet plans available on the market.

The only way you have real control over sodium intake is to start scratch cooking. As soon as you open a convenience package to help you prepare your meal, you are giving up some control.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Low fat and low salt is not easy!! It can quickly make you feel like all you can eat is sand and cardboard. Use stock on the stovetop where you once used oil. Mix foods to create flavors you like. Utilize herbs and spices! There are so many. You're bound to like some.

I sometimes soften up onions in pans, too, and they create a nice smoothness in there to help coat other things. If you like onion, it's kinda-sorta-almost as good as oil. You can add a hint of vegetable stock or chicken or whatever to help that, too.

I was NO fat and low salt for a long time. I hated it. It got to the point where I didn't want to eat. I didn't want to harm myself with stuff I shouldn't eat, but it was so sick of what I could eat. Then I rebelled. Then I got it together and figured out how to make food that I LIKED that was good for me.

I think I came to MFP looking for ideas for low-fat diets. It wasn't to be found, lol.

I'm now low fat and low salt and it's much, much easier than No Fat and no salt. I can eat so many, many things.

If you can eat fat, do that. If you can't, don't limit yourself. Go figure out ways to make food that you like to eat. I wish I'd figured it out sooner.

There's a lot of good food out there to eat!! Don't give up, :)
  • MissRose2005
    MissRose2005 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

I have been cooking at home. And it helps! What is a good balance? I appreciate the "eat more live foods" but having twins and a husband with a career that is like a second husband, sometimes you have to mix some packaged items. Do frozen veggies not count as fresh?

Luckily I have children that enjoy salads and veggies but running to the store every week for the fresh won't cut it all the time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check the nutrition label on veggie package for sodium, sugar etc. If you are using 'straight' veggies I don't think sodoum is added, but if they are prepared in a sauce or with anything extra, you can count on added sodium & sugar, & ususlly fat too.
  • Vegankid192
    Vegankid192 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You'll just have to choose which evil you more want to deal with. High intakes of either put you at greater risk for heart disease, cancer, strokes, the works. In today's age we have easy access to salt and fat, among many other things, in such high amounts that we as humans would never come in contact with in the natural world. And it sounds like your the one who is mainly cooking in the family, so it is your responsibility to feed your family healthily. At least increased salt won't make you fat.