Vegetarians success stories?

Options
I am a vegetarian who eats diary but no meat or fish. I am currently 5' 4 and 178lbs. I am looking for some motivation to come down to 125lbs with my vegetarian diet. Please post your stories and pics too :)

Replies

• druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14 lbs. of my 50 lb. weight loss goal, so no pics yet, but I'm a vegetarian. I just track everything here. The biggest thing I've had to change is protein. I started having a protein shake in the mornings to help up my protein values, because even with cheese, they were still really low. My boyfriend does all the cooking, so I enter a lot of recipes as he makes dinner.
  • beckypierce1
    beckypierce1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegetarian. I eat lots of beans, whole grains, veggies and fruits, eggs, yogurt and almond milk. Also veggie burgers and quorn chicken. I average 60-80 grams of protein per day.
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vegetarian and what is important is not to eat too much cheese. Eat beans like lentils and chick peas instead of diary. Then you should be fine. Keep going!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss in September 2014 and am now down 22kgs. I've been maintaining since the end of March. I've been vegetarian for the last 6 years. I eat multiple kinds of cheese a day. Today I've had cheddar, feta and cottage cheese.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    loseitcav wrote: »
    I am a vegetarian who eats diary but no meat or fish. I am currently 5' 4 and 178lbs. I am looking for some motivation to come down to 125lbs with my vegetarian diet. Please post your stories and pics too :)

I am ovo-lacto-vegetarian, female, 21 when I started and 24 now, started almost from your same height and weight! (5'5 and 183). I have lost around 20 kgs overall (most of it has been lost during the first 1,5 year) and I have become more active. I started going to the university by feet and eating at a deficit, then I gradually included proper workouts such as stationary bike, circuits, aerobic step. My intake has been changing a lot because I have not been dieting all the time during the last 3 years. But I have kept the weight off and I am now trying to lose a few other kgs trying to find out what's the weight I feel most comfortable at! I have also learnt to cook more foods and appreciate foods that I didn't like before. Keeping up my protein intake has been hard so I always recommend you to have yogurts, milk, eggs, legumes and vegetarian substitutes at every meal. Don't let the carbs tempt you, I am a sweet tooth so that's been the hardest part for me, but if I have too many carbs I end up not getting enough protein at the end of the day!
  • amaranthxx
    amaranthxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the stories...today's is my day to start. I am a vegetarian too...no meat chicken, fish, etc. and I am kind of on and off again with dairy. I am 5'4 and 212.5 lbs...so your stories are helping me be motivated too.
  • natlierees
    natlierees Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    doj5wyqw8iws.jpg I'm veggie down 11lbd in this pic, main change in diet was adding protein I'm hovering around 100g a day now was 35g on average previously
  • amandaturns30
    amandaturns30 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went from the 130s to the 190s and back to the 130s as a lifelong vegetarian many years ago. Added fish in around 2009 and maintained my weight for awhile but ballooned up to over 200 over the years and am working on losing it now. Good quality Protein powder can be your friend if you do want more protein. As with any eating plan, find the macros that work for you and eat your veggies and move more and eat less. Binge eating and not exercising made me fat. Discipline and patience are making me less so. Being a veggie was ancillary. You can definitely accomplish your goals without meat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have been for 15+ years. I have lost a lot of weight as a vegetarian.. but I also gained it as a vegetarian. The vegetarian diet is not inherently a weight loss diet. It took calorie counting with a food scale for me to drop 72 lbs. My love of vegetables did certainly help, but my portion control was what I needed to fix. Being a vegetarian did not teach me portion control.
  • loseitcav
    loseitcav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your stories! Being a vegetarian, I end up getting more calories from carbs as long as I don't strictly make sure I get enough protein in every meal.
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration! Vegetarian for 12 years, looking to lose weight :) x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!