Struggling to lose weight

Options
Ahh!! Imstruggling so much right now. I'm not sure who to talk to about what I'm doing wrong!!
So I went to the doctor a few months ago about not being able to lose weight and she told me to really watch my carbs. (Blood work came back perfect) So I have been trying to pay more attention to what I'm eating and trying to keep the gym in my routine. The last week I have REALLY started watching my carbs. I try to keep them between 50-80 and they all come from veggies and my advocare spark drink. I have also been doing cardio like crazy! (Crazy for me) Gym at least 5 days a week depending on work. I have been doing just cardio. Nothing less than 2 miles at a time. Usually more. So far, I had lost 1/2 lb. that's it! And this morning I had actually gained that back and another 1/2lb.

My doctor said she can refer me to a nutritionist, but it seems like that would be a waste of money! Any advice?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No clue what the spark drink is, but if your blood work came back perfect, I can't see (in my unprofessional opinion) any need to cut carbs or drink special things or anything like that.

Can't see your diary so can't offer much help there as far as calorie intake and whether or not you're meeting goals. But I will say that I had my best success (and I dropped about 25lbs, a little less that what your goal shows on your page) by eating at a small deficit, getting plenty of protein, and grabbing some weights - weights that were challenging for me, and adding that strength training to my routine. I still did and do cardio, but it's in addition to, and I don't gonzo with it or anything. If I had to give up part of my routine, I'd ditch the cardio and stick with all weights - that's where I've seen the best changes in my body.

It takes time - learning to eat the right portions of foods to hit your goals, but generally I've found there's still room for ice cream and other treats, and still see fat loss and reach those fitness and fat loss goals.

But if you make your diary public, it will be easier to offer advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not eating in a deficit if you're not losing weight.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm with ya!! I have been stalled almost 3 mos now. I have been at 1680 calories, doing water aerobics 5 days a week and still putting in an hour or more at the gym. I've recently been told by several that they've noticed a difference, but I'm not seeing it. I think my problem is that I'm not eating enough as I've had 1000 calorie burn days and never eaten them back. Recently got a Basis Peak with a heart monitor/calorie burn on it, and average 2800 to 3000 calories a day burned. Or more. I've thought my calories were low from the beginning, but was told by several they were fine. I do also have a low but normal thyroid. Make sure your calories are enough to fuel your basics, and that you are having a NET calorie deficit. I think I'm going to try a maintenance calorie amt and then cut back from there. My problem is having had it pounded into my head since a very young age I was fat when I wasn't, I don't like to eat. Food has been my enemy. Now I am having to learn to eat, and eat healthy! I started the MFP premium and that helps me see my overall macros and nutrition. Worth every penny!!!!! Good luck!!!!
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily including carbs because you do need some. I then calculate daily calorie intake. It is important to take enough, not too low so that your body doesn't get into a hunger mode in which the body starts accumulating fat in preparation for hunger. Maybe you can avoid carbs only for dinner?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not sure why your doctor suggested lowering carbs either, but sadly it tends to be the usual knee jerk response to dieting.

Weight loss is about creating a sensible deficit in your diet each day. You can cut carbs as low as you like but if your total daily calorie intake exceeds what you burn as energy then you will not lose weight.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have two options:
    1) count calories. Use a food scale and count everything you put into your mouth
    2) Follow dr's suggestion and visit a dietitian or nutrition who will do the work for you and create an eating plan with less calories for you
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    chey282 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm with ya!! I have been stalled almost 3 mos now. I have been at 1680 calories, doing water aerobics 5 days a week and still putting in an hour or more at the gym. I've recently been told by several that they've noticed a difference, but I'm not seeing it. I think my problem is that I'm not eating enough as I've had 1000 calorie burn days and never eaten them back. Recently got a Basis Peak with a heart monitor/calorie burn on it, and average 2800 to 3000 calories a day burned. Or more. I've thought my calories were low from the beginning, but was told by several they were fine. I do also have a low but normal thyroid. Make sure your calories are enough to fuel your basics, and that you are having a NET calorie deficit. I think I'm going to try a maintenance calorie amt and then cut back from there. My problem is having had it pounded into my head since a very young age I was fat when I wasn't, I don't like to eat. Food has been my enemy. Now I am having to learn to eat, and eat healthy! I started the MFP premium and that helps me see my overall macros and nutrition. Worth every penny!!!!! Good luck!!!!

You have not lost weight for 3 months. You are at maintenance. Whatever tool you are using to estimate calories burned, it way overestimates what you are burning.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    We can better determine what you're doing wrong if your stuff wasn't private. 80% of weight loss is diet