Strength training exercises

Options
I have been doing work at home dvds like Jillian, Beachbody etc.. I have a home gym set that includes barbells, dumbbells with plates.. So I want to start lifting and I don't have access to the gym.. I did check the bodybuilding.com website and have a copy of new rules of lifting for women.. How do I replace the machine exercises in them especially the leg exercises? It would be helpful if someone can suggest me a list of basic exercises that I can do at home please

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take a look at something like strong lifts or starting strength - both are excellent programs. For most beginners working at home, I'd suggest skipping the clean if you go with starting strength.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Take a look at something like strong lifts or starting strength - both are excellent programs. For most beginners working at home, I'd suggest skipping the clean if you go with starting strength.

I skip the clean because it irritates my shoulder. Is there a reason you suggest to skip it? Just curious.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I skip the clean because it irritates my shoulder. Is there a reason you suggest to skip it? Just curious.

It's a very technical lift. IMO, the risk/reward isn't there for a beginner lifter working out at home. If you're willing to put in the time and do the homework and really focus on technique before you start working with weight, then that might change the conversation. But most people don't really do that, and it's not like there's a huge gaping hole in the routine without cleans.

Just my opinion.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't skip the clean, its my favourite exercise! Look at youtube for lots of how to videos. The clean is fantastic for strength, explosiveness and athleticism and because the clean works so many muscles at once and has you moving quickly, its a great calorie burner. But if you do decide to skip it, at least do high pulls instead (basically the clean without dropping under the bar) for similar benefits.

I agree its technical, but worth it when it comes together.
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for the suggestions, will look into it.