UK - storebought salad dressings?

Options
icck
icck Posts: 197 Member
Can anyone in the UK recommend a bottled salad dressing that is either low in calories or fuller flavoured so you use less? I've been trying a few out lately and have just been disappointed, particularly with them not actually tasting of much.

Replies

• KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Use salsa
  • icck
    Options
    KaneNLN wrote: »
    Use salsa

I don't like tomatoes, or salsa, but thanks for the suggestion...
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use just a really nice balsamic on it's own or salad cream.... or pickle like Branston or picalilli - maybe it's the touch of sweetness I like....they are all pretty strong flavoured. Have you tried Newman's Own?
  • icck
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    I use just a really nice balsamic on it's own or salad cream.... or pickle like Branston or picalilli - maybe it's the touch of sweetness I like....they are all pretty strong flavoured. Have you tried Newman's Own?
    I currently use balsamic and a light spray of olive oil if I feel I need something on my salad, but quite fancy a proper dressing and making my own isn't quite cutting it for me. :)
    Might try the Branston pickle (not keen on Picalili), that's an interesting idea. We tried the Newman's Own creamy caesar a while back and weren't impressed - do you have a recommendation from the brand?
  • Furbuster
    Options
    I tried the french and it was okay - not like fresh though if that's what you are after. No biteto it if you know what I mean.
  • Furbuster
    Options
    Oh yeah I also put a touch of sweet chilli sauce in mayo and mix it up - that's nice
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the full fat Tesco Caesar I only use around 25ml per lunch
  • icck
    Options
    Ah great - thanks for all the responses. I'll check those out. There are so many dressings out there, it's great to get actual recommendations.

I like sweet chilli on salads from time to time actually, that reminds me that we've run out.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mary Berry has brought out a light salad dressing - there's basically no rubbish in it (unlike the Kraft ones), but it's pretty calorific so you have to go easy on it! Nice tasting though. However, for the cost of it, I just think it's so damn easy to make my own with balsamic and olive oil, or a lovely honey, mustard, red wine vinegar and olive oil one. I've got a tiny glass jar (the sort you get a single serving of jam in at hotels - yes, I nicked it!) that I tip small amounts of the ingredients into, and take it to work, and just shake up to put on my salad, if it's looking a bit sad and boring.

However, most of the time I don't have any dressing on my salad. It takes a little time to adjust to the lack of dressing, but I'm now perfectly happy eating salad plain.