How to stay motivated during the final stretch of weight/fat loss?

Options
Hi all!

I have been on my fitness journey on and off for the last 3 years, but over the last 18 months, I have really gotten serious about my nutrition/exercise, and finally hit my goal weight of 180 lbs a few months ago.

I've reevaluated my goals and have decided that I could stand to lose another 12-15 lbs to put me in the 160's and finally within a normal BMI range. My only issue is that I am struggling to stay motivated right now.

When I was at my heaviest (254), my weight was all I could think about, so when I decided to change my life, I went gung ho, all in. I was losing 2-3 lbs a week, and those scale victories really kept me fueled. I still am very consistent with my work outs, but naturally, as I get closer and closer to my ideal weight, the scale takes muuuch longer to move than it used to. The only time I've dropped below 180 is when I had a stomach virus and lost 5 lbs. As soon as I was better, all of the weight came back, of course.

I really try to not rely on the scale, and use things like measurements to gauge my progress, but it's a little defeating when I go two or three weeks and all I've lost are a few negligible ounces :neutral:

Do you guys have any tips on staying motivated to lose your last few pounds? I know I've come so far, but it feels like I'm moving at a snails pace to reach that "finish line". Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It does move at a snails pace at the last and nothing prepares you for it, we always feel that it wont be the case for us but it usually is :( it means being more accurate logging and for me it meant upping my workouts.. (I have a Fitbit and went from consistently doing 12k to 20k a day and now that seems normal) even then it took me the best part of 6 months to lose my final 7lbs...! it was very frustrating but I pushed on, little by little and I could see such benefits from increased fitness as my measurements reduced further and I was getting into smaller sizes.

You've worked so hard to get where you are, just keep on going, don't think about the end being in sight, just enjoy the journey and mark your progress in different ways ie, by how your clothes feel :smile:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    That's kind of where I am. I frequently eat at maintenance and am currently one pound from goal.

I don't think you should beat yourself up over losing fractions at this point--you've come a long way, and you're miles ahead of the people just wishing they could lose without doing any of the necessary steps!

As for regaining lost motivation? No real advice there. Just keep doing what you're doing and maybe you'll suddenly feel a burst of energy in that department. I know there are days when I am definitely more motivated to make perfect food choices.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I went through that around every 3 months - and you've been at a deficit much longer than I was (I've been maintaining 3 years). As someone else said, it gets slower. MUCH slower for me.

For me, the motivation is that my goal is to stay thin and not regain the weight. So every day I am in that new weight range, I am happy. Every day I still log my food is a triumph. I get to do the happy dance.

Buy some new clothes that make you feel good. By new, I mean 'new to you'. Goodwill is cheap. I altered a lot of my favorite clothes. Buy a new bra that really fits. It makes a huge difference in keeping you going and feeling good about what you accomplished.

Two other things that really helped me towards the end were watching my macros and buying a fitbit. If my carbs aren't under 40% it is really hard for me to lose, even at a steep deficit. So up your protein and watch your added sugar and straight starches (bread, potatoes, rice). That become more important because you've been heavy and probably are a bit insulin dependent. If your blood sugar gets too high, insulin will spike so you will store more of that fat, stop burning fat for 2 hours after the spike, and get really hungry. Bad cycle. So just eat foods that take longer to digest and up your fat and protein while keeping carbs in check. A friend of mine describes it as 'don't eat white foods' (bread, sugar, potatoes, rice).

The fitbit kept me moving. You can get a zip on ebay for under $40. It syncs with MFP and adds in calories for your steps. Very motivating and also really important as you move into maintenance.

You've done great. Keep it up.
  • hellurkitty
    hellurkitty Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice, I appreciate it so much. It's funny you mention buying a new bra; I am still wearing my "fat" bras (which of course fit horribly now), and wasn't sure if I should buy new ones now or once I lost the last 15 lbs. I think I will buy a couple now and see if that gives me some of my mojo back.

I've also been really cognizant of my carb intake as I get closer to maintenance. I definitely am carb sensitive, so I've been doing my best to keep carbs under 100 grams unless it is leg day. I've also been told to take a short "diet break" every few months or so, just to let my body re-calibrate and get back into fat burning mode. Not sure how effective that is, but on a mental level, it does help to have those few reset days.

Thank you again for your help. This is truly a lifestyle change, so I just need to remember that everything will happen in due time as long as I do my part and take care of my body.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've been 3-4 pounds from my goal weight for a year, so I hear you, lol (and arguably, most women my height try to go 5 pounds lower).

I'd say, keep a small deficit... 250-300 max. Focus on making tasty foods, so you don't feel deprived and it's easier to stick to your deficit. Don't sweat it if you eat at maintenance occasionally too.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    The closer to goal the smaller the loss & the slower the progress.

On my last leg to goal I was literally losing .3 of a pound - sometimes less! hahaha

It's a matter of changing the mindset & redefining success. Even minis cue loss is still loss and better than the alternative of gaining.

Also, if you are really at a stand still with reaching goal (plateau) perhaps try revving up the intensity of your cardio OR re-evaluate if your goal is realistic for your height, frame, age, & lifestyle.

Stressing over it will also hinder progress so try to do some soul searching, make a plan, & follow through. Try not to have it consume you.

Best of luck!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You have come so far, and it seems you have a really great attitude. Go you! I've been maintaining years now, and when I get to the top of my range (or out of range) I eat at a small deficit=slow going to get back in range. A small deficit has its upside=you get to eat more. :p Maybe look at that as the bright side? Also, some people say taking a month long break eating at maintenance helps freshen their attitude and resolve. Def invest in the new bras. You've earned it!
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I dieted for 4 months to lose 15 lbs. I had trouble losing after that point so I took about 3 months off (still tracking to maintain of course). Last month I hired an online personal trainer/nutrition consultant for cheap to help me keep accountable for the last 15lbs and help me get to my goal. I've lost about 5lbs after the first 4 weeks. This has helped motivate me.