MFP When Pregnant

Options
Hoping someone can help me out a little with this topic. Can you use MFP when pregnant? I heard conflicting information about trying to lose weight or not trying to lose weight when pregnant. If you eat less calories per day than needed to maintain weight, would that effect your baby? I feel like it would be bad to take nutrients away from the baby and have it not develop fully (if that is what happens). If you were to stay on MFP, would you just do that "maintain current weight" settings? Would you need to eat more? Hoping someone can give me a little advise. TIA! :)

Replies

• mickisteen
    mickisteen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keeping in mind that I am not a doctor, I would think you could use MFP when pregnant. I was obese when I was pregnant with my 2nd and I believe my OB said that as long as you were getting sufficient vitamins, minerals and what not the baby would take what it needed from any excess stores if you weren't eating enough calories. It's been about 16 years so I could be remembering that incorrectly.

I gained a total of 3 pounds during my pregnancy and was 10 pounds down when I went back for my 6 week checkup with a healthy 7 lb 2 oz baby. YMMV, I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor and/or a nutritionist.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Of course you can use MFP or any other similar tool. Depending on your weight, maintaining your weight or even losing weight might be safe, but this is a question for your dr.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. There are many women who have used it to ensure they didn't gain huge amounts. From what others have posted, you should maintain during the first trimester and eat at a small surplus the rest of the time.