Am I skinny fat? Am I overweight? Do I cut? Bulk? Feeling VERY overwhelmed...

Options
43 year old male. 6'2" wide frame. 193 lbs.

About 15 years ago I was 235 lbs. No muscle. I went on Weight Watchers and got down to 180. After a few years stopped Weight Watchers and went up. I range from 190-195.

My current goal is to get muscle and definition. I'd like to get pretty big. Why not take advantage of being 6'2" with a wide frame?

I currently don't have much muscle. I sit at a desk all day. I do Stronglifts 5X5 at home, and am currently in my second week. Also do about 15 minutes of light cardio after I lift. I do the lifting and cardio every other day.

I'm eating 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I'd say I'm eating 80% "clean". It's certainly making me feel more full when I do this than when I eat crap. For the last week I've been eating about 2,000 - 2,400 calories a day. Why the fluctuation? I can't make up my mind what to do.

I'm very torn as to whether I should stay on a deficit, and get my body fat % lower, or start a slow bulk, and get some muscle on me. I'm trying to do as much research as I can, but the deeper I dig, the more confused I get. What's bro science, and what isn't?

Some places say "Get more muscle on you, eat clean, become a fat burning machine, and then cut.".

Others say "You're not insulin sensitive enough when above 20% body fat. Don't bulk until you're below 15% body fat."

Still others say "Eat at maintenance, eat lots of protein, lift heavy, and you'll recomp."

Bottom line: I know to lose weight I need to eat less calories than I burn, and there's no magic bullet. I just want to know if it would be better to lose more, do maintenance, or slowly bulk up.

I've attached a link to pictures I took this morning to give a better idea of where I'm at. Thanks for ANY feedback.

http://imgur.com/a/u5lNb

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not too maintenance and take advantage of newbie gains. Then decide what you want to do when you have a better idea of your numbers and routine?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulking wouldn't be a reasonable option.

Continuing to cut while lifting would probably be best. Eating at maintenance while lifting could work if you're very, very patient and meticulous.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Why not too maintenance and take advantage of newbie gains. Then decide what you want to do when you have a better idea of your numbers and routine?

What exactly are newbie gains? Is it just strength gains, or do you actually get more muscle? I know it's a stupid question, but I've heard you can increase your strength from your body simply being more efficient and still not build muscle. Again, not sure if that's bro science or not.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Both strength and some additional muscle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What exactly are newbie gains? Is it just strength gains, or do you actually get more muscle? I know it's a stupid question, but I've heard you can increase your strength from your body simply being more efficient and still not build muscle. Again, not sure if that's bro science or not.

You can build a bit of muscle early doors when you start lifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think you need to eat at maintenance.

Yes, you can increase strength without adding muscle. You can also add muscle while eating at maintenance.

Based on this thread, I don't think you're ready, mentally or physically, to bulk.
  • trustymutsi
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This helps a lot. Thanks everyone. I needed some peace of mind.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think you need to eat at maintenance.

Yes, you can increase strength without adding muscle. You can also add muscle while eating at maintenance.

Based on this thread, I don't think you're ready, mentally or physically, to bulk.

Yeah, sorry for posting again already, but I was really struggling to figure out more details.