I'll pumpkin spice your latte.

Options
So I started my journey in June. I've had some great success and I'm still going strong. HOWEVER.... I am FREAKED out about Fall and Winter. Cold Days, Comfort Food, PUMPKIN SPICE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s I find it easy to get up and out when the weather is nice and there is so much to do. I'm terrified that when the cooler weather hits I will fall in to old habits, or when I put on a big pot of stew I won't be able to control myself. AND don't get me started on the endless Christmas baking that seems to show up everywhere. Does anyone else have these concerns or have I completely gone off the deep end!

Replies

• lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can still have pumpkin spice everything! You can still have lots of the yummy things you love about autumn, but in moderation and within your limits. Getting the body and health you deserve comes from setting limits and I know you can do it!

I personally don't buy any of the pumpkin spice stuff at Starbucks or anywhere - Instead I bought pumpkin pie spice off amazon and I add it to all my healthy treats at home! DONT feel trapped! There are options and so so many of them!

Best of luck xx
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you darling!
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of recipes to help!
    Skinny pumpkin spice scones 152 calories per serving http://www.theskinnyfork.com/blog/skinny-starbucks-pumpkin-scones
    And skinny pumpkin butterscotch bars 130 per serving
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/09/skinny-pumpkin-butterscotch-bars.html?m=1

Good luck! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Stew and soup can be really healthy!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

I make pumpkin chili during the fall (well predating the current trend, as hipster as that is to say), and it's a fantastic way to satisfy that craving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Spice Greek yogurt.....yum. You can make your own.

5 oz plain Greek yogurt, 2.5 Tablespoons canned pumpkin, ¼-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of pumpkin pie spice, sweetener (Stevia or brown sugar).

If you have a Meijer grocery store....they sell pumpkin spice yogurt all year round.

Christmas baking........ugh. I just have to give it all away. My only defense.
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best!!!! Thank you for the great recipe ideas!!!!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Chobani makes a Pumpkin Greek Yogurt that is very good. Hopefully it's in season soon.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I started logging last June and while I didn't lose much over the holidays, I didn't gain and I got stronger. You've built the habits, just continue down the course you're on and keep it up. If you slip, make up for it. Just make room in your calorie budgeting for those foods you love.

...and pumpkin spice anything is awesome!
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You could set a certain day of the week to have your pumpkin spice whatever and plan around it. Or maybe choose between a latte or a yummy baked good. It's a lot easier to make treats fit your goals when you only choose one treat at a time!

I too anticipate some challenges around Christmas time with all those yummy treats. Personally, I plan on maintaining through the holiday season and return to weight loss after.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin on it's own is so healthy...be excited about learning new and healthy ways to enjoy it! Starbucks and all of the other restaurants load it up with sugar adding tons of extra calories...

When I did weight watchers a few years ago, pumpkin was the best! You can be the one who brings healthy dessert options to holiday gatherings. Christmas baking is a tough thing...I have decided to not do any baking personally and not have cookies in the house...too easy to graze on them as they are a week spot for me. You control the season, don't let it control you!
  • allie_mfp
    allie_mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Epicure selections out of Victoria BC sells pumpkin and gingerbread spice. There are recipes on their site for making your own homemade syrup. Way healthier and cheaper than Starbucks and you can control the amount of sugar or sweetener you use. http://epicureselections.com/en/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »

Curiosity rising...may just have to order some.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I made the pumpkin scones someone linked to above, they were pretty good!

In terms of the Christmas baking (much as it pains me to look 4 months out), if you are the baker, either plan on baking less, bake what you want and be sure to give it away as quickly as you make it, or bulk freeze it and only thaw out what you need for specific events (or if you find that A COOKIE (or whatever) fits your goals for the day). I use this last approach and got a small chest freezer just so I could fill it with containers of pies, cookies, squares, etc. (I love baking even more than I love eating the stuff, and that is saying something!). Check your recipes to be sure they can be frozen (not everything can), then as soon as it has cooled to room temperature, layer the cookies or whatever in containers, separate the layers with sheets of wax paper, then get it into the freezer post-haste.

I find this works since I can always pull out a dozen (or whatever) and thaw them when I have people over, or if I need to take something to someone else's party, but since they are frozen, it really cuts back on random snacking. I also put the freezer in the basement, kind of "out of sight, out of mind".
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I make pumpkin chili during the fall (well predating the current trend, as hipster as that is to say), and it's a fantastic way to satisfy that craving.

I make a lot of chilis all year round, but if I make my "traditional" chili, I always add in a can of pureed pumpkin so it's nice and thick. I don't add beans, and swap in chopped zucchini (husband can't eat beans) so it helps with texture.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

I make a lot of chilis all year round, but if I make my "traditional" chili, I always add in a can of pureed pumpkin so it's nice and thick. I don't add beans, and swap in chopped zucchini (husband can't eat beans) so it helps with texture.

I would make it more often, but I like the seasonal aspect to it. I do other types during different times of the year, like slightly thinner, somewhat citrus-y ones during the spring/summer.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I feel you on this one, I have been doing really good but I love to make homemade bread in the winter to go with a nice stew or chilli. It is really hard to not pig out on fresh bread on a cold day. I have been getting into making my own butternut squash soup lately. It is low in calories yet filling. Maybe you can get your pumpkin fix by eating pumpkin as the stew instead of as sweets: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-soup/?mxt=t06dda