Just had surgery.

Options
ktom262
ktom262 Posts: 4 Member
i have only been doing this for about a month and have seen results. I am afraid after having surgery, I might start to gain it back. I cannot work out for another 2 weeks...

Replies

• Reprocess
    Reprocess Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Even doing workout will help you. Remember its not the reason for weight lose. Just keep sticking to your calories goal.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've heard many people say "weight loss happens in the kitchen"...so as long as you're staying within your calorie goals, you'll be fine. I had major surgery two years ago and couldn't exercise for nearly six months. When I started going to the gym I was woefully out of shape. But six months later, I'm stronger/healthier than before the surgery! The best thing you can do for yourself is to allow your body the time to properly recover from surgery. Then slowly start working out again and you'll be right on track. Good luck!\
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ktom262 wrote: »
    i have only been doing this for about a month and have seen results. I am afraid after having surgery, I might start to gain it back. I cannot work out for another 2 weeks...

I just HAD to reply to this.

I had a pretty major surgery on July 22nd, and was benched for nearly 3 weeks- on the couch, pain meds, limited walking, you name it.

I gained a total of 3 pounds of water weight, that popped right back off about a week after getting up and moving again. Keep an eye on what you eat, and you'll be fine =)

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Cheers,
    Jess
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    weight loss really is all about what you eat.. body composition (what that weight looks like) happens in the gym. I've unfortunately crushed (according to my doctor) a bone in my foot and have been unable to workout (or even really walk) since May 13th and have at least another month until it's completely healed and I've lost 15 pounds since then (out of the 40 to goal). Could I have lost more if I was working out and increasing my calorie expenditure??? probably -but I'm pretty happy with where I am.. Don't stress. At the very least not gaining during this time is a win... just focus on healing and getting healthy again.
  • Chicasonamission
    Chicasonamission Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanx to the ones who responded....I'm having issues too and can't work out so I feel like that will hurt my weight lost but even when I was working out (almost everyday) I wasn't losing because I was still eating anything and every thing I wanted in much larger scale. Hoping this time around to do better even without working out.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The good news is...the best thing for healing is lots of protein...your appetite might be reduced due to pain meds...you won't be able to run to the store for junk food, so if you stock up on fruits & veggies, that's what you'll have on hand...if physical therapy is part of your recovery, it will get you back in the habit of exercising regularly...and you can spend your recovery time surfing these inspirational success stories, lol!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to have a total knee replacement in the next 2 wks. I already started to make sure I get my shakes in and protein etc. I won't be able to do leg work but I will be doing upper body work.
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery on 7/7 and then again on 7/20. Had a herniated disc for a year before that. So while I did try and log and did "ok" I could not exercise- I maintained pretty well til the first surgery. I gained approximately 15 lbs in a month. I've already lost about half of it in the last 2-3 weeks. I feel fabulous- so I don't even care. I have been walking and doing yoga and can literally feel my body get stronger each day which is so exciting after being a couch potato for a year! Just concentrate on staying healthy- get back on track with your exercise as soon as you can.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!