Got snarked at the gym today

I lifted today! That's the good part. A few other people were in the gym, including one girl who was lifting much heavier than I was- I'm using fairly small weights because I haven't lifted forever and I'm only a few weeks into doing it again- I'd rather be safe and build up to where I was than hurt myself.
After she was done she walked over, DROPPED a huge dumbbell next to me and said "try lifting something real" and walked out. I just kept lifting (I was in the middle of a set) and didn't respond... just kind of can't believe some people are actually like that. I'm still glad I lifted today, but with all the other stress in my life I really didn't need that during my workout.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Wow. Just wow. Whatever that woman's issues are, they are hers, not yours. You keep doing what you're doing.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Just stay the course, everyone starts somewhere.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow. Whatever that woman's issues are, they are hers, not yours. You keep doing what you're doing.

Well said! @z304 - good for you for getting back to the gym :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Um, WHAT??? Completely agree with @SueInAz . Wow, that poor gal must have some serious issues. Keep up doing what you're doing and I'm really glad you completed your set and didn't even acknowledge her! WIN for you!
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Bitchez
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    She sounds like a nasty piece of work - better forgotten and ignored.

Gratz on your lift :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    You're not supposed to drop the weights! If she does it again, call her out on it. XD If she's going to try and be a snarky *kitten*, just be a smartass back at her. You're fine with what you're doing, and if she has a problem with it, so be it.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Good for you getting back to the gym.I respect you for hanging in there after that.
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    First, she earned a VIP spot in hell for that act. Yes, I said it! You do not deserve to be treated that way at gym or anywhere else. You don't need to explain yourself to her or anybody. You just keep on doing whatever you need to do to be healthy. I don't lift heavy weights myself. I go for 3 reps using low, slightly heavier, low so I am challenging my muscles without injury. Slow and consistent progress wins every time in fitness. Stay strong!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Suspect is suspect.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    DYELB wrote: »
    Suspect is suspect.
    My thoughts exactly....

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2015
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

i was just going to say the same...

i've belonged to a lot of gyms on and off over the years and I've never seen anything like this occur.

If in fact this did happen, you should have reported it to management.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

This.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

i was just going to say the same...

i've belonged to a lot of gyms on and off over the years and I've never seen anything like this occur.

So you're saying it's not just me?
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    It sucks that that happened to you :(

Just keep doing what you're doing and don't let this discourage you from hitting the gym. Remember that workout time is you time and that nobody can take that away from you if you don't let them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Suspect is suspect.

^Have to agree with the above. It's a bit...hmmmm.

If (and a huge if at that) this was all true and if it were to happen again, you should report that.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Suspect is suspect.

The thought also crossed my mind.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

I agree with this for sure.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Suspect is suspect.

The thought also crossed my mind.

Wow, really people? Just because it's never happened to you CLEARLY means it has never happened to someone else.