Eating more = losing weight?

13»

Replies

  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What sometimes happens is that people deprive themselves and think they are eating less, but fail to count some "cheat" calories. Once they start eating more, they don't feel deprived, so they stop cheating and end up eating less than they were before.

    That answer is for the non counters here. I think 90% of this site is or tries to count calories correctly.

    OP's post is only her 6th post here....so my hunch is that no, she wasn't counting correctly.

    Well we know she wasn't.

    So then what was your point? The deprive/cheat answer applies.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,692 Member
    edited August 2015
    jaga13 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What sometimes happens is that people deprive themselves and think they are eating less, but fail to count some "cheat" calories. Once they start eating more, they don't feel deprived, so they stop cheating and end up eating less than they were before.

    That answer is for the non counters here. I think 90% of this site is or tries to count calories correctly.

    OP's post is only her 6th post here....so my hunch is that no, she wasn't counting correctly.

    Well we know she wasn't.

    So then what was your point? The deprive/cheat answer applies.

    I got lost and thought someone else was the OP. Since OP has been so quiet in her own thread.

    Also that poster knows why I said what I said.

  • zyxst wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    right, because the automatic fall back to "more calories" = a diet of donuts and fried foods....legit..
    Nobody said, implied or even thought that.

    You are continuing to argue against something that doesn't exist.
    You missed this post:
    Check out Eat to Perform's Wave Method for fat loss. It pretty much is what you describe.

    Also, just because I and the OP are eating more it doesn't mean we are eating donuts. I only cheat for birthday cake so I don't feel like a jerk at parties. I eat way more whole foods, and don't eat bread or sugar anymore.

    Bolded is where the donuts come in.

    Glad OP found what works for her. Me, eating more doesn't equal weight loss, so my guess is you started to get more accurate with your food tracking and finally created a deficit.

    Yes this app has helped me to track easier. Before I was just counting it in my head.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    Between the donuts and fried chicken I am totally confused.

    Dieting is stressful to the body. Extreme dieting (overly large deficits) are more stressful. When your body is stressed, it produces more cortisol, which leads to water retention. Water retention masks fat loss. So you can lose fat but not see any movement on the scale because you are retaining a lot of water. Taking a diet break, or at least eating at a smaller deficit, can help relieve this situation. It's pretty common for people who are eating in an extreme deficit to take a week off and, whoosh, lose a lot of that water weight.

    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/
    * http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html
    * http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html

    But it sounds like the OP was not counting her calories accurately so that was more likely her problem (not water weight.)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,401 Member
    Oh yes. Thank you for saying my experience is wrong. Because you are just the almighty god of MFP and weight loss? I did not realize you are a specialist and qualified to make those determinations on MY experience.

    Why dont you all just share your opinion or experiences and leave it at that? Why does it always have to turn into "no your wrong, im right" discussion. Let the OP decide from themselves.

    Most of these forums are filled with people acting like 12-year-old girls...nothing to be proud of.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,823 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Oh yes. Thank you for saying my experience is wrong. Because you are just the almighty god of MFP and weight loss? I did not realize you are a specialist and qualified to make those determinations on MY experience.

    Why dont you all just share your opinion or experiences and leave it at that? Why does it always have to turn into "no your wrong, im right" discussion. Let the OP decide from themselves.

    Most of these forums are filled with people acting like 12-year-old girls...nothing to be proud of.

    There are several different conversations going on in this thread. Are you sure you are taking offense at something that was directed at you?

  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,823 Member
    What sometimes happens is that people deprive themselves and think they are eating less, but fail to count some "cheat" calories. Once they start eating more, they don't feel deprived, so they stop cheating and end up eating less than they were before.

    i%2Blove%2Bthis%2Bpost%2Bso%2Bmuch%2Bcat.jpg
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    @tiffanymariearpaio ... never mind the nay sayers who are dumping on your experience because it's not something that they have 1) done, 2) do, 3) think they know better.

    Not knowing how active you are, or how you calculate calories ... I will focus on what I have personally experienced about this topic. ...

    ...If I cut too many calories I will stop losing weight after a couple of months ... in fact, the weight loss gets smaller and smaller every week until it stops all together and I have to fight to keep it down. When I eat a healthy amount of calories, my body is rarely, if ever, hungry or craving anything and the weight comes off at a steady, albight small, way ... like a pound a week. I'll take that! My calories range from day to day from between 1600 and 1800 with an occasional 2000 if there is something special going on or I eat a restaurant prepared meal instead of home cooking.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    What sometimes happens is that people deprive themselves and think they are eating less, but fail to count some "cheat" calories. Once they start eating more, they don't feel deprived, so they stop cheating and end up eating less than they were before.

    I also think that people often cut their calories low and start working out like crazy. Then they are too tired to do much else. So their NEAT calorie expenditure takes a dive, which means that their overall calorie deficit is not as low as they think it is.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Oh yes. Thank you for saying my experience is wrong. Because you are just the almighty god of MFP and weight loss? I did not realize you are a specialist and qualified to make those determinations on MY experience.

    Why dont you all just share your opinion or experiences and leave it at that? Why does it always have to turn into "no your wrong, im right" discussion. Let the OP decide from themselves.

    Most of these forums are filled with people acting like 12-year-old girls...nothing to be proud of.

    You can't "decide for yourself" how the body uses energy. It doesn't work that way.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,692 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Oh yes. Thank you for saying my experience is wrong. Because you are just the almighty god of MFP and weight loss? I did not realize you are a specialist and qualified to make those determinations on MY experience.

    Why dont you all just share your opinion or experiences and leave it at that? Why does it always have to turn into "no your wrong, im right" discussion. Let the OP decide from themselves.

    Most of these forums are filled with people acting like 12-year-old girls...nothing to be proud of.

    People lurk and would try misguided information which is what the forums are for. To correct crap information.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,823 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Oh yes. Thank you for saying my experience is wrong. Because you are just the almighty god of MFP and weight loss? I did not realize you are a specialist and qualified to make those determinations on MY experience.

    Why dont you all just share your opinion or experiences and leave it at that? Why does it always have to turn into "no your wrong, im right" discussion. Let the OP decide from themselves.

    Most of these forums are filled with people acting like 12-year-old girls...nothing to be proud of.

    People lurk and would try misguided information which is what the forums are for. To correct crap information.

    lurkers.jpg

  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,534 Member
    I used to over eat and gained a lot of weight so I started exercising and eating less calories and only healthy foods and I lost weight. After a few months of losing 20 lbs I reached a plateau. I was eating 1200 calories a day and exercising but not losing any weight. Then I downloaded this app and it told me to eat 2,000 calories a day! I never thought that would help me lose weight, I thought it was too many calories. But I listened to the app and had about 1,800 a day. After that it was late at night and I wasn't hungry anymore. After a week of using this app, I was under my calorie goal everyday except one day, I went over. I chose too many high calorie foods on accident that day. Anyway so after a week of essentially eating more, I had lost 2.5 lbs in a week! After a month of not losing anything! I never thought that eating more would help. This app allowed me to cheat more and be flexible and not worry so much about what I ate and I didn't have to be strict. I am really grateful for this app! Losing weight won't be as boring as I thought eating wise, or as strict. :)

    The TL;DR version of the story is that you your logging was bad when you were at the lower intake level.