Got snarked at the gym today

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

Is it because some women can't get along with each other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Suspect is suspect.

The thought also crossed my mind.

Wow, really people? Just because it's never happened to you CLEARLY means it has never happened to someone else.

it's a bit out there....not saying it's impossible...but really, a lot of people here are pretty experienced in this RE...and well...yeah...never seen it and I've been in and out of gyms for 25+ years.

also, a lot of people on MFP make *kitten* up all the time...stick around awhile and you'll see...lots of bullshitters and trolls around these parts.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If this was a woman telling another woman her clothes were slutty or how to cook better I might believe the story. I sort of doubt this actually happened.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Suspect is suspect.

Wow, really people? Just because it's never happened to you CLEARLY means it has never happened to someone else.

Pretty much, yes. Well, not just me. Never happened to anyone I know, male or female. Never happened to anyone that anyone I know knows. Never heard a gym employee relate a story like this. Never overheard someone telling a story like this. Never read it in a magazine. At a certain point, an unlikely event is unlikely.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    WOW! This just pisses me off to no end! How incredably egotistical and hateful. There is a name for people like that...Bullies. You just keep on being smart and doing what is best for YOU! Screw what anyone else says or thinks. It is not a competition and no one knows why someone lifts as they do. I have been thru that due to an injury and someones comment almost made me quit going. So glad i didnt quit and please dont let it deter you from your fitness journey. Her karma will come believe me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Suspect is suspect.

It reads like someone trying to start a dumpster fire in the forum. The op hasn't even come back.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's the gym in my apartment building- there's a handful of cardio machines, two weight machines and a rack of dumbbells. Building management is more concerned with moving people in and out than someone being mean, and TBH this happening one time is not something I'd make an official complaint to anyone about.

It's just something that made me feel bad and I've ALSO never had anything like this happen to me, so I figured I might get support here... I guess it's nice to know this isn't a normal thing at gyms?

& thanks to people being encouraging.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well! As an older weak swimmer I kept to the wall and was harassed by younger men swimming too fast to close. I did complain to them and the guard and they were out. Things do happen sometimes but not very often.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    25 years of spending tons of time in gyms and I've yet to see anything like this occur on any level. Add me to the list of people that doubt this really happened.

I agree, I am very skeptical that this actually happened the way it was described, or at all.
    Also, the OP's profile is sketchy itself...no gender, no pic...

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether this happened or didn't happen, this forum is called Motivation and Support. Last time I checked, telling someone that they're a liar because their story is unlikely in your frame of experience is neither motivating or supportive.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Or maybe it did happen but the part we don't hear was that it's her sister or BFF busting her lady humps.

Then again. I never heard of this.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Were you curling in the squat rack perhaps?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this happened or didn't happen, this forum is called Motivation and Support. Last time I checked, telling someone that they're a liar because their story is unlikely in your frame of experience is neither motivating or supportive.

But condemning the bish to hell sure is.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

But condemning the bish to hell sure is.

That wasn't me.

I'm agnostic.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ This exactly! This is another type of bully. If you cant contribute in a positive way then why say anything at all....or maybe it just makes them feel better. I guess being the internet people will say whatever they feel like without caring how it could make another person feel.

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow. In over 20 years in gyms all over the world, I've never seen anyone disrespect another person like that. You did the right thing. Avoid and keep going. Trust me, put your time in and you'll blow by her.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Next time you see her give her a good hard stare while you serenely go about your routine. Then blink and look away. Like a cat does when he's just letting you know that he doesn't give a #%$&.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It's sad that people like that exist. Whether it's just her trying to "inspire" you or she's trying to brag, that's a horrible way to do either. I make it a point to be nice to everyone in the gym - you never know when you'll need a spotter!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ This exactly! This is another type of bully. If you cant contribute in a positive way then why say anything at all....or maybe it just makes them feel better. I guess being the internet people will say whatever they feel like without caring how it could make another person feel.

You keep throwing that word "bully" out there and it's demeans people that actually are getting bullied. If anything, you going around wagging a finger at everyone trying to tell everyone how to act like you're God is much more "bullying" than those simply expressing their opinions/uncertainties about the story.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Stories like this can be quite demotivating to people already wary of lifting. It's in the wrong section. And since there's not a demotivational section, OP (troll) should just go away.