Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nutritional yeast

I just discovered this. I have read articles that say it is healthy and articles that say it is bad for you. What do u think?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    "healthy"? What are your health goals?

It's tasty. It has protein, fiber and B vitamins. I find you can sprinkle it on things instead of parmesan cheese to save on fat or if you're vegan but still want a cheesy/nutty flavor. I like it on popcorn.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I keep instant yeast in the freezer and a starter on the counter. I use yeast all the time. I like bread.

I have never read or heard that they're harmful, but I don't eat enough of them to derive much benefit. I stick yeast in the "Neither, really," category.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I keep instant yeast in the freezer and a starter on the counter. I use yeast all the time. I like bread.

I have never read or heard that they're harmful, but I don't eat enough of them to derive much benefit. I stick yeast in the "Neither, really," category.

Nutritional yeast is a deactived yeast, very different from that which is used for breadmaking.
  • janejellyroll
    The articles that say it is bad for you -- what do they say the risks of consuming it are? I eat it regularly and I'm unaware of any potential health risks associated with it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Nutritional yeast is a deactived yeast, very different from that which is used for breadmaking.

My apologies. :)
  • WBB55
    The articles that say it is bad for you -- what do they say the risks of consuming it are? I eat it regularly and I'm unaware of any potential health risks associated with it.

I believe the articles that say this, claim it causes Candida Overgrowth Syndrome (please note this is not my belief).
  • LetterToCorinth
    LetterToCorinth Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2015
    I would think you'd have to eat copious amounts for it to affect candida growth. And since it's deactivated, that really doesn't make sense. If you're worried, take some acidophilus - it's a probiotic. It's help me when taking antibiotics that cause "candida overgrowth." ;)

For the record, I love it. I use Bob's Red Mill. It's great on pasta and pizza, even salads.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    As far as your intake Candida has no impact on your intestinal flora.

Candida overgrowth is yet another hoax perpetuated by the supplement industry - a dangerous one as this diverts people with real problems away from the root cause of their symptoms.
  • janejellyroll
    WBB55 wrote: »

I believe the articles that say this, claim it causes Candida Overgrowth Syndrome (please note this is not my belief).

Huh. Never heard that one before.
  • WBB55
    edited August 2015
    WBB55 wrote: »

Huh. Never heard that one before.

When you're bored and logged in an incognito web session, click on the weight loss ads you see on websites. Oh the things I "learn" when I have insomnia. I believe this is one of the things vinegar cleanses "cures" (again, please note this isn't my belief).
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I am enjoying it on roasted veggies. Very tasty. Even my 12 year old loves it that way.