am I expecting too much??

Options
I have been staying below 1500 calories per day-watching carb intake- avoiding added sugars- and was loosing 1-2 pounds per week. I feel like the loss should be greater.. this week the loss has slowed even more. should I change my diet more?? I am not able to do much exercise so that is not an option forme. Any ideas? my food diary is open! I would welcome any advise from you MFP friends :) ( I have type 2 diabetes) not sure if that is making a difference. I am on 2000mg of metformin per day. Thanks!

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why exactly is exercise not an option??
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you're expecting too much, 1-2lbs per week is a great rate of loss. Anything over 2lbs/week is usually considered unhealthy.

I will also add that, looking at your diary, it looks like you're measuring most things with cups - this isn't especially accurate. It's clearly working at the moment since you're losing, but if you find your weight loss does slow down considerably then consider getting some scales and weighing everything, as you may end up eating more than you think.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You are expecting too much.

One-two pounds per week is a 750 or so deficit per day. With little exercise, that would indicate that your TDEE is around 2250. That doesn't seem unreasonable on the face of it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes. 1-2 lbs a week is great imo.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is lovely. It takes a long time to lose weight. Keep up the good work!
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are expecting tooooo much (1-2 lbs per week is great).
    Why can't you exercise...just curious.
  • DollieDaughtry
    DollieDaughtry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    healing from ankle injury.. hope to be able to walk more soon.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs is actually a healthy amount to lose. Lose too much too fast and you could end up very sick, from malnutrition if nothing else. And it's not going to be consistently the same amount each week. Your weight fluctuates daily, and things like TOM and water weight can make you gain or stall from time to time. As long as your overall trend is downwards, you're fine.

Also, weight loss doesn't have to include exercise. Adding exercise adds to calories out, and there a lot of people that enjoy exercise because it makes them feel better, but I'm not one of them. I do it because it's helping me get a better grip on my asthma, but I hate doing it. Because of that, most of my weight loss was just through watching my calories in, not adding to the calories out. So my advice is to focus on your eating habits for now, and if you can add exercise later when your ankle heals, it's good for other reasons than weight loss so it is worth doing.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Losing weight too quickly will cause more of your weight loss to be from lean muscle mass instead of fat. This is something you really don't want to happen. The rate you're losing at right now is great.

If you can't do most cardio while your ankle heals, start strength training your upper body instead. There are a lot of people here who do no cardio at all choosing to lift weights instead and lose weight while maintaining more muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1-2 Lbs per week is pretty great...your expectations are whack.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs is more than great. I'd love to be losing that much a week! Time to change your expectations.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. If you average 1-2 lb loss per week over months there will likely be a week or 2 where you don't lose or even gain (for the week).
    Congrats on your loss to date, keep at it. It doesn't sound like you have actually plateaued.
  • krystleLD25
    krystleLD25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is awesome!! also, losing weight starts to slow down as you start shedding pound. think if it this way, if you ONLY lost 1lb, this time next year you will be 52lbs lighter!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Seems we have consensus of good information here - yes your expectations are too high, especially in the long term.

Make small changes and once that ankle heals, introduce an exercise regimen to help you reinforce those healthy habits. 1lb/week is outstanding progress, so you're doing even better - just keep it up!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained weight at a rate greater than 1 - 2 pounds per week. Losing weight at 1 - 2 pounds per week is pretty darn good!
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    healing from ankle injury.. hope to be able to walk more soon.

i find that if I'm too sore to do any walking I do workout videos in a chair and just do the arms. It definitely helps. I've fallen in the "I'm injured so I can't work out" habit before. It wasn't pretty.