Eating less is bad for business

Options
AlabasterVerve
AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Marketing the anytime is a good time to eat message has been so effective the food industry needs a new ad campaign -- you're not eating too much, you're exercising too little.

Coca-Cola Funds Scientists Who Shift Blame for Obesity Away From Bad Diets

“Most of the focus in the popular media and in the scientific press is, ‘Oh they’re eating too much, eating too much, eating too much’ — blaming fast food, blaming sugary drinks and so on,” the group’s vice president, Steven N. Blair, an exercise scientist, says in a recent video announcing the new organization. “And there’s really virtually no compelling evidence that that, in fact, is the cause.”

They even suggest we should be eating more:

"The group says there is “strong evidence” that the key to preventing weight gain is not reducing food intake — as many public health experts recommend — “but maintaining an active lifestyle and eating more calories.” To back up this contention, the group provides links to two research papers, each of which contains this footnote: “The publication of this article was supported by The Coca-Cola Company.”

Replies

• Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lolwut
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    “The publication of this article was supported by The Coca-Cola Company.”

And this is why I am cynical about corporate-sponsored studies.

10649564_771483002891189_6752464835273614059_n.png
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    “The publication of this article was supported by The Coca-Cola Company.”[/i]

The key to this post is right here.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    This response can only be summed up in a gif.

tumblr_inline_mj7wifEnQL1r82dpg_zpslcaodmky.gif
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    DECEIVER! He know that he is lying, AND that that his product is adversely impacting the lifestyle and life spans of people. DR Robert Lustig said on PBS this weekend that 77% of of processed food has sugar which causes HIGH INSULIN which overpowers our bodies' leptin which makes our brains think that we are starving. He also said that Obesity is brain starvation. Other Dr's say that Alheimer's is DIABETES 4. So eat MINDFULLY or FEED your STARVING BRAIN.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i read on a forum here once that "You can't out-exercise a bad diet". I really took that to heart.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If Coca-Cola thinks they're going to sell more pop by telling people that they can drink it if they exercise, people are going to hear, "I can't drink it." Big mistake.

America is a country that spends money on exercising, not a country that exercises, lol.

Maybe they should get rid of those ridiculous caps that hurt people's hands when they attempt to consume the product. No quicker way to get people off the stuff than to make it painful to open! I know those caps helped me quit!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I just don't get why anyone particularly believes that the food industry is concerned with public health or is a friend of the public in this regard.

Their primary concern is to maximises profits. They will act according to type.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Jhca6Xb.gif
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Look at McDonalds. They are in major panic mode because their sales keep dropping. That's what happens when you keep peddling crap for so long. In this day and age there are just too many choices and as a society we are much more informed. Their food is bad for you AND it doesn't taste that good. That's a bad combo. If they're not willing to change one of those two their only option is to make it so cheap people won't care.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hilarious. Because being more active will definitely make up for those 2500 calorie meals in restaurants (not).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Let's not jump to conclusions just because of the sponsor. The fact is, there is strong evidence that the key to preventing weight gain is physical activity. Physical activity hasn't been shown to be particularly helpful for weight loss, but the vast majority of people who are keeping the weight off are putting in about an hour a day of exercise. That is certainly worth considering.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone disagrees that more physical activity better Smh....
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I just don't get why anyone particularly believes that the food industry is concerned with public health or is a friend of the public in this regard.

Their primary concern is to maximises profits. They will act according to type.

People don't realize it's a marketing campaign when dieticians are recommending soda as a healthy snack, that seals of approval are bought and paid for and that when these organizations (that people trust to have the public's interest at heart) are staffed by people with egregious conflicts of interest who then go on to make "evidenced based" recommendations based on research that was also bought and paid for.

Once you see it for what it really is it can't be unseen but until then it's a slick, professional campaign from people and organizations the public trusts -- all and all a pretty sophisticated con even the smartest among us fall for.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    America is a country that spends money on exercising, not a country that exercises, lol.

I can buy fitness instead of making it myself?? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    i read on a forum here once that "You can't out-exercise a bad diet". I really took that to heart.

This!!

Considering that most restaurant meals contain a days worth of calories, there's no way you can outpace the consumption of calories with exercise. Maybe a marathon runner or an elite athlete but then they're not the average person struggling with their weight.

80% diet and 20% exercise. I believe this has much more impact on weight than the inverse.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How their new ad should read:

How to burn 1212 calories (a 3 liter of Coca Cola Classic):
    336 mins walking or
    139 mins jogging or
    101 mins swimming or
    185 mins cycling
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    DECEIVER! He know that he is lying, AND that that his product is adversely impacting the lifestyle and life spans of people. DR Robert Lustig said on PBS this weekend that 77% of of processed food has sugar which causes HIGH INSULIN which overpowers our bodies' leptin which makes our brains think that we are starving. He also said that Obesity is brain starvation. Other Dr's say that Alheimer's is DIABETES 4. So eat MINDFULLY or FEED your STARVING BRAIN.
    Wait..... What?!?!? No