Help! I'm going crazy!

Options
So it's now very clear I have a terrible food addiction. Several times a day I'm hit with cravings! Juicy cheeseburger, delicious ice cream, tacos and burritos, etc!
As I sit here writing this, I'm fighting the urge to hit up the nearest drive through.
How do you get through those cravings?!

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    By eating exactly the things you just wrote, but according to your calorie allowance, they all fit in my diet if I want to eat them.

By not thinking that eating that or this food is wrong or evil, by not eating my feelings with food anymore.

By planning and earning those calories, by attempting everyday to be more discipline, to take control of my intake.

Tons of differetns aproachs to fight that, you pick what works better for you
  • sherrynickel
    sherrynickel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Drink water, try a flavor stick in your water for something different. If you are really hungry eat a piece of fruit, or a yogurt to satisfy the craving.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I do something else. garden, walk, etc
  • sherrynickel
    Options
    I am a lover of ice cream so I get it, have you tried the Original fudge pops, sugar free? They are really good, and only 40 calories.
  • stevieraynicks2015
    stevieraynicks2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Moyer566 you're right. I need to distract myself when it happens. If I took a walk every time I got a craving I'm sure it would help in my weight loss! Lol
    Sherrynickel, what is this deliciousness you speak of?! I LOVE fudge pops!! Haha! Where can I find these? Any typical grocery I assume?
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agree with drinking water - gives you breathing room when cravings it. Focus on healthy portions rather than restricting foods to help reduce cravings. Perhaps chose alternative versions like a veggie burger with cheese wrapped in lettuce - one of my personal favorites. Or a regular cheeseburger (no bun) sitting on a salad is a nice option.
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For me, it is not that I get through the cravings. I will run out of things to do to occupy my mind and time while HOPEFULLY the craving(s) passes. I have (over time) gotten a NEW MINDSET. It does take a lot of thinking differently about food. And more importantly, how it/has/will play a role in my life going forward. As a suggestion, I would try to make your own "healthier" version of some of the things you crave. A turkey burger with the fixings (just stay within whatever you have setup in MFP as far as nutritional values). Ice cream...there are low cal versions (try one or two and see if you like it).

You can do this!!! I hope that some others will reply. All the best.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Cravings normally last anywhere between 5 - 20 minutes. Occupy your mind with something else for 20 minutes. Anything to give you 20 minutes of not thinking about your cravings. They should pass.

Also I find I crave junk more if I let myself get too hungry. A healthy snack might help curb the cravings too.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I drink so much damn water. I probably refill my 16oz cup like 5 + times a day. Ice cold water seems to work best for me, but I know some people who find hot water with some lemon more filling.

You can make (basically) calorie-free iced teas and lemonade really easily if you need flavour.

Also, brushing your teeth or chewing gum can help. If all you can taste is peppermint it can make other foods less appitizing.

You can fill your food diary in ahead of time as well, I find this helps stop me from making random and unhealthy choices, or accidentally not leaving enough calories for the evening.

To be honest while these things help, they aren't a perfect fix for cravings. I think there's something to be said for making allowences for the calorie-dense food you crave, but for some people this can lead to overeating or binges. I used to get terrible cravings for sweets, and the only thing that has really helped is just saying no to them. Not for forever, but I needed to train my brain to look at sweets or greasy food as something that I could eat to make myself feel better or relax or even just because I felt lazy and didn't want to cook. They're occational treats, and the less I eat of them, the less I want them.

If you do feel addicted to a food, and you crave it all the time, I'd reccomend just cutting it out for a while. Not forever - but like two months or something. It sucks but you probably won't want to eat it all the time once those two months have gone by.

Mostly, you should feel really proud of yourself for resisting the urge to run out for junk food :) I'm a compulsive snacker with a tendency to binge, so I know how hard can be...
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough. When I get over-hungry and especially when I am stressed or tired it is too easy to succumb to cravings.

Work on getting in the habit of eating good foods and the habit can help you through the tough times.

Finally, you can eat what you want as long as it fits into your calories or you get back on track the next day.
  • stevieraynicks2015
    Options
    I definitely think it's a mindset. Sometimes I'm not even hungry but it feels like I have to have it!! The times I am hungry I try not to snack because I worry about using too many of my calories. I really have to try to change my way of thinking.
    Thanks Wytcher9 for the no bun suggestion. I always forget how many calories/carbs those pesky buns are!
    #NoBunsAugust LOL
  • sherrynickel
    Options
    Great ideas! Moyer566 you're right. I need to distract myself when it happens. If I took a walk every time I got a craving I'm sure it would help in my weight loss! Lol
    Sherrynickel, what is this deliciousness you speak of?! I LOVE fudge pops!! Haha! Where can I find these? Any typical grocery I assume?

Yes they have them at regular grocery stores. I think they trick my brain to feel like it has been satisfied with ice cream, with out all of the sugar and calories. It's okay to give yourself rewards that don't kill the calorie budget! You can do this...if I can ( being a Wisconsin girl, cheese, ice cream, and dairy products, you can) stay strong! We are here if you need to talk.
  • stevieraynicks2015
    Options
    You folks are awesome! Thanks so much!! I'm headed to the grocery to pick up sine veggies and third fudge bars instead of the nearest drive thru!!