Tips on drinking more water?

Options
Tips on drinking more water?
I always forget to be honest :-/

Replies

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Make it easy, and make it fit what works for you. For me, a pretty Tervis cup with a straw seems to have worked pretty well, but over the past few years I've tried nearly a dozen water bottles trying to find a style that actually worked. For me, a straw works, and the Tervis cups have lids which is useful on my crowded desk.

Another trick is to have a bragging rights challenge with a friend - first one to 4/6/8 glasses of water wins.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I usually cold steep a tea bag add lemon and I have to have filtered and iced. I'm a first worldy after all.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is have two large glasses (16 ounces each) first thing in the morning when I wake up and before I do anything else. You're always a bit dehydrated in the morning so it's a good practice. I also have a full glass right before bed.

During the day I refill my glass automatically every time I finish it. If a glass of water is sitting there beside me most of the time, it's easy to drink more.
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 L bottle that never leaves my side and carry around with my EVERYWHERE.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I always have water close by in a tumbler ..I usually steep a fruit tea, add lemon wedges or cucumber and mint to make in interesting
    My colleague actually has an app that reminds her every hour to drink.
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I always have a 20 oz Tervis with every meal, I always make sure my water is gone before I take my last bite of food. Slows my eating down and I know I get in at least 60 oz, I always drink more, but that is my minimum
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I was weaning off pop, I'd have a can, then a glass of water. I rotated and went to 2 waters per can, down until it was one and then no cans of pop per day.

Now, I just drink water.

I second the Tervis tumblers. They don't sweat, even with ice water out in the heat. Those things are awesome. I replaced my glasses with them. :)
  • StaceyGetFit1
    StaceyGetFit1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add slices strawberries, lemon, limes to water. It really helps to mix it up and drink more water.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I buy $1.00 one gallon jugs of water and drink on it all day...
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My personal rule of thumb:
    1 c before morning exercise, 1-2 during exercise, 2-3 before noon, 3 from noon to dinner, and 3 after dinner. If I get up early, I can get another cup or so in. Sometimes I put lemon slices in just for variety.
    When I get too distracted and forget, I don't try to chug and catch up. I just keep going according to the schedule.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty and get on with my life. It seems to have worked out just fine.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I labeled my water bottle with the hours at which I needed to have downed x ounces. It motivated me to drink throughout the day.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle at work and another at home/at I carry everywhere, it really helps having it there all the time
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I fill up two 32 oz cups with water from my Britta filter every morning. I try to finish one by noon and finish the other by the end of dinner. Works well for me. It gets easier after you have been doing that for a while.

70044776.png
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    saraherren wrote: »
    I have a 1 L bottle that never leaves my side and carry around with my EVERYWHERE.

This. Me and my bottle are very close friends!
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time at my desk. And I'm really distracted by what I'm doing, so I keep a bottle of water there...and after a while...when I turn the pc off, I wonder what happened to all the water? Turns out I drink water mindlessly haha :smiley:
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    all my life i hated drinking water, i would drink coffee all day instead.. than i read about adding cucumbers to water about a month ago and poof i am now only drinking water with a couple slices of cucumbers in it all day. actually drinking at least 8-10 cups a day now! find a flavor you can enjoy regularly and you won't forget to drink water anymore..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I saw this idea.....create a reminder.

Place XX number of rubber bands around your drinking glass....every time you drain it, you take a rubber band off (those colorful bracelets might work too). When the rubber bands are gone....you've met your goal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I take my Contigo bottle with me everywhere. Works great for me.

300.JPG
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I labeled my water bottle with the hours at which I needed to have downed x ounces. It motivated me to drink throughout the day.

I like that idea.