RAGBRAI

Options
Anyone familiar with this event? It's a annual bike ride across the state of Iowa from west to east(Missouri river to Mississippi river) 400-500 mile, 7 day event. Most days average ~70 miles with lows around 55 miles and highs as much as 85+ miles a day. I'm seriously considering doing this next year(always the 3rd week of July) I currently don't follow a structured cycling program. I just try to get on the bike as much as possible. Longest I've done in a day is 42 miles. I've got a Cyclops Fluid2 trainer for this winter and am thinking of starting a serious training program in March to prepare. Anyone have any suggestions for training for an event like this? Anyone done it?

Replies

• MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm an Iowan here, so VERY familiar with the event. I believe RAGBRAI has a training program on their website, if you're interested.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Another Iowan here! I haven't done it, but I know some people who have. The bulk of people I know have just done 40-50 mile rides on the weekends and then shorter rides during the week, without a ton of "targeted" training. It's a long bike ride, but it's also quite a party. Everyone I know who has done it has had a really great time, so definitely look into it!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Another Iowan here and I am a RAGBRAI vet. I have ridden fulls or partials for the last 7 years. The RAGBRAI site does have a pretty good training plan available. I think they recommend about 1000 miles before the ride. I ride year round-not just for this event-so week day rides are around 20 miles with weekends being my longer rides. We have stops every 10 to 20 miles (longest gap this year was on the 100 mile option and we did not have a town for 32 miles) so you have time to let your legs rest up. Also, get used to riding in groups-some days there are over 20,000 riders out there at varying skill levels. I see you are from Dyersville--go train on Potter's Hill and you can brag on the next ride and be a legend ;)

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Another Iowan here and I am a RAGBRAI vet. I have ridden fulls or partials for the last 7 years. The RAGBRAI site does have a pretty good training plan available. I think they recommend about 1000 miles before the ride. I ride year round-not just for this event-so week day rides are around 20 miles with weekends being my longer rides. We have stops every 10 to 20 miles (longest gap this year was on the 100 mile option and we did not have a town for 32 miles) so you have time to let your legs rest up. Also, get used to riding in groups-some days there are over 20,000 riders out there at varying skill levels. I see you are from Dyersville--go train on Potter's Hill and you can brag on the next ride and be a legend ;)

I've ridden the Heritage Trail numerous times this year past there and always have the thought of seeing what it's all about, but I'm usually pulling my son in his trailer and doubt i'd make it up the hill with the extra ~70-80lbs of weight.

I've seen the training program on the website. I don't plan on training only for RAGBRAI, moreso I just want to make sure i'm as prepared as possible for it. I've read a lot to not look at it as a 80 mile ride today, as it's 12 miles to the next town.\
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    coryrood wrote: »

I've ridden the Heritage Trail numerous times this year past there and always have the thought of seeing what it's all about, but I'm usually pulling my son in his trailer and doubt i'd make it up the hill with the extra ~70-80lbs of weight.

I've seen the training program on the website. I don't plan on training only for RAGBRAI, moreso I just want to make sure i'm as prepared as possible for it. I've read a lot to not look at it as a 80 mile ride today, as it's 12 miles to the next town.\

Yeah I wouldn't tackle that with the extra weight. I did not ride that day and have thought about driving up just to give that hill a go.

Yep, I tell people if they can handle 20 miles, they can take a break to recover and then go again. would you be riding with a group or charter?
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I might find my way into a local group. Won't be doing it with a charter. Might be doing it solo or with a friend. Don't know yet.