less cardio and more weights - does it help in weight loss?

Options
Im new to workouts. I usually prefer to go on meal replacement plans for weight loss. After marriage I have been doing cardio for about 3 months, 3 to 4 days a week, burning 550 to 600 calories per day. However my husband suggests me to go for weights as well. I tried both. But no results at all. How do I promote weight loss in such conditions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Diet is much more important for weight loss than exercise.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eat in a deficit. Do cardio you like. Lift weights. The scale number may slow down, but you'll be happier with the results. You'll retain muscle while eating in a deficit as you lose if you lift. If you do cardio only, you'll lose muscle along with fat. Don't just rely on the scale, take photos and measurements as well.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    daffy0312 wrote: »
    Im new to workouts. I usually prefer to go on meal replacement plans for weight loss. After marriage I have been doing cardio for about 3 months, 3 to 4 days a week, burning 550 to 600 calories per day. However my husband suggests me to go for weights as well. I tried both. But no results at all. How do I promote weight loss in such conditions?

How long did you "try" lifting weights? If less than 3 months minimum then you didn't give it enough time.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above advice, read the first post in this forum, "Most Helpful Posts".
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Find out your maintenance calories target and eat about 500 less. Lift weights and do cardio and you should be good.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no point in lifting weights for a short period, or without some plan. If increasing strength and/or building muscle interests you, weight lifting will help, but not in a few weeks.
    As for losing weight, you lose weight by eating less than you burn. Whether this just mean eating less or adding calorie burning activities or anything in between it is up to you.
    Since you are still very young and you say you have lost weight before (and I assume gained it back) I would suggest you stop thinking of this as a short term plan (eat/not eat this or that, do X or Y exercise for the next weeks) and start to think of it as a change in habits. Find a way to change your eating gradually, either by making better food choices or by reducing portions, and find an exercise routine you love and will stick to it, not one that promises fast results.
  • daffy0312
    daffy0312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    daffy0312 wrote: »

How long did you "try" lifting weights? If less than 3 months minimum then you didn't give it enough time.

Its been only 2 months since I started this plan
  • kamilehcrocco
    kamilehcrocco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer (since nothing else has worked) and its been three months seeing him once to twice a week and while I have lost any weight (muscle is heavier than fat) I LOOK so much leaner and better. I have more control over my body, feel more empowered. I have greater flexibility, and my body is burning more calories and fat at rest because its fueling the muscle I'm building! So, stick with it. Every trainer I've spoken with say diet and weights to lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer (since nothing else has worked) and its been three months seeing him once to twice a week and while I have lost any weight (muscle is heavier than fat) I LOOK so much leaner and better. I have more control over my body, feel more empowered. I have greater flexibility, and my body is burning more calories and fat at rest because its fueling the muscle I'm building! So, stick with it. Every trainer I've spoken with say diet and weights to lose weight.

If you haven't lost weight in 3 months it's because you are eating at maintenance and going for body recomp

The extra calories you're burning from the extra muscle you've built are both minimal at best

Your trainers are right but to lose fat you need to eat in a defecit