what to do when you're sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    the guideline I've always followed when running is "symptoms neck down, skip the workout; symptoms neck up, you're good to go, but adjust effort based upon how you feel." Sometimes I only feel like a walk around the block and that's ok. You don't want to make the illness linger and derail you further...better to take the time and heal.

That's a great guideline actually! I have a pretty terrible immune system, I have my whole life. I get a cold once a month in the winter. Doing light cardio line walking or something is still important. Even when you just have a head cold + sore throat/coughing + stuffy nose + headache..... working out sounds terrible. But at least do something lol.

For me at least, walking is part of my daily routine. I force myself to do that almost every day, it's just the rest that I avoid depending on how I feel.

:-)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    pointkoala wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    pointkoala wrote: »
    I more just drink OJ because it is really nice on a sore throat. Everything else is so hard to drink.

Really? I always find it hard on a sore throat because it's got a high acid content. I usually drink tea, mostly the Arizona green tea with ginsing and honey. I know they don't actually do anything, but I love the taste and find it soothing on a sore throat. Despite the extra calories it provides!

Something else I do for a sore throat is drink warm Jello. Make some, pour a mug and put the rest in the fridge. The gelatin coats the throat for a short time, the warmth is soothing, it's low calorie and comes in lots of flavors. And you'll have a snack for later.

I honestly thought everyone drank orange juice when sick. Lol. It just goes down your throat so smoothly.... (at least for me :-P).

Oh goodness, I can't imagine how you do it. Orange juice really tears at my throat when it's sore.

But the good old flat lemonade...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Generally, I only exercise if I feel like it. Depending on what kind of "sick" you are, getting outside and exercising can make you feel better. It wouldn't be a bad idea to eat a little more than normal when you are sick, especially if you are eating at a significant calorie deficit. Your body burns more calories when it is fighting an infection.