I want to start lifing weights but i dont feel comfortable since i am a girl?

Options
Okay so i went once to the gym to lift for the first time since i want to take my fitness to next level but felt so awkward with only guys being there so i only stuck to dumbells. What is your advice to feel more comfortable and any tips on building a gym plan would be helpful as well(lower upper split for 4 days a week)

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    forget the fact that you are a girl and they are guys. They will be secretly impressed, and should be concentrating on what they are doing rather than looking at you.

seek out a tried-and-tested plan. Something like:

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

all are based on compound lifts using a combination of dumbbells and the barbell.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How to feel comfortable - fake it 'til you make it :p Nobody cares what you are doing, you just think they will. So walk in with your head up with a plan, do you stuff, and keep doing that until you don't have to fake it anymore. Watch lots of form videos and read about form before you go. I even found a youtube video on how to adjust a power rack so that I wouldn't look like too much of a noob when I got there. (Not that anyone cared, I just didn't want to fight with the rack trying to figure it out.)

Program - don't try to design your own as a newbie. Pick a well established program and follow that. I started with SL 5x5 and enjoyed it. Splits are popular, but don't always give you the most bang for your buck as a new lifter. A 3 day/week full body program will have fewer lifts you need to learn and still give great results.

Oh - and start light! Get your form down on light weights before moving too heavy. Any problems with your form will get magnified once your weights get big. Things will progress quickly enough. Don't get discouraged if your upper body lifts are slow to progress. That is very common for women.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree, no one cares or judges and they will actually be impressed. I bet you find they even help you with form/spotting if you ask them! I know I would.

I also agree that a split isn't the best choice for a newbie - the 3 options above are the ones most used and they have produced results for countless people (me included). Review each program online before starting as you can choose one to fit you depending on your goals, for example Starting strength has power cleans in there which are my all time favourite exercise, whereas stronglifts doesn't.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ana_lalic wrote: »
    Okay so i went once to the gym to lift for the first time since i want to take my fitness to next level but felt so awkward with only guys being there so i only stuck to dumbells. What is your advice to feel more comfortable and any tips on building a gym plan would be helpful as well(lower upper split for 4 days a week)

I know what you mean... I go to a pretty big gym and hardly any girls lift; I guess it's just gymtimidation or something.

The only thing you need to know is that no one cares you're there. They are just there doing their thing. Unless you're about to squat 329013kg or deadlift 9321kg no one will really pay attention to you.

If you have to, stick some earphones in and music which fits your mood. It's pretty much a sign that you don't want to be talked to.

I wouldn't recommend a split if you're a beginner as PMS (protein muscle synthesis) takes 48 hours... so you'll be leaving muscle groups for extended periods of time. Instead, pick a program which focuses on compound lifts;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
  • ana_lalic
    ana_lalic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, now im getting more more excited to start :)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    How to feel comfortable - fake it 'til you make it :p Nobody cares what you are doing, you just think they will. So walk in with your head up with a plan, do you stuff, and keep doing that until you don't have to fake it anymore. Watch lots of form videos and read about form before you go. I even found a youtube video on how to adjust a power rack so that I wouldn't look like too much of a noob when I got there. (Not that anyone cared, I just didn't want to fight with the rack trying to figure it out.)

Program - don't try to design your own as a newbie. Pick a well established program and follow that. I started with SL 5x5 and enjoyed it. Splits are popular, but don't always give you the most bang for your buck as a new lifter. A 3 day/week full body program will have fewer lifts you need to learn and still give great results.

Oh - and start light! Get your form down on light weights before moving too heavy. Any problems with your form will get magnified once your weights get big. Things will progress quickly enough. Don't get discouraged if your upper body lifts are slow to progress. That is very common for women.

This!!!

Sometimes I am the only woman in the weight section, sometimes there's a few of us. Either way, just do your thing. I have had nothing but respect. I don't get the whole 'male' and 'female' areas. To me its a group of people with the same interest, doing their hobby, encouraging each other.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Strange you guys are sometimes the only ones there, I've been in a few gyms in the past 12 months and I find there are now loads of women squatting or deadlifting etc in the free weights area whenever I go!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm the only person in the weight room. Yesterday, there were 3 other women and no men in there while I was in there. Well....that is until I got to hip thrusts, then there were just a couple of guys. That always seems to happen to me. The weight room will be completely empty until I get to my heavy set of squats OR until I am hip thrusting...

Anyway, just pick one of the programs that someone above suggested and start.
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love it when a girl lifts weights and im sure im speaking for alot of guys out there! Trust me they will be impressed.
  • chocochip13
    chocochip13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im also just beginning to lift. Just finished my first week and really enjoying it. I did find it uncomfortable in the weights area at the gym so I go really early morning untill I'll feel more confident lifting with all the guys... I downloaded the app bodyspace and they have hundreds of routines and there's images and descriptions that show you exactly how to to an exercise.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Great advice already. Don't forget you paid your membership dues same as the guys so you have just as much of a right to be in the weight room as they do.

Make sure you are using the correct form and don't assume that the guys in the gym are using the correct form. I've seen some really bad form from guys and girls too.

I'm also frequently the only woman in the weight room but soon you won't notice it because you are busy just getting your workout in. I do however notice when another woman shows up because it makes me happy but no problem if I am alone.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm sometimes the only woman in my entire gym - not just the weights section - and I've found that most people honestly don't give two fcks what anyone else is doing. People are focused on their own workout, and even if they're resting between sets, most people seem to either be on their phones or watching TV. Some glance around, but no one seems to be doing it in the sense that they're looking for people to make fun of or something crazy like that. I've found that it actually motivates me more when I'm the only woman because I feel like I have something to prove, so it's kind of fun to me. Especially when I see that I'm lifting more than the guy next to me :) There are lots of good weight lifting programs to start with... Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, NROLFW, etc. Good luck, women who lift are the bees knees :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

I can't agree with this enough.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules! Get the book, it's wonderful and very practical.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Act like you belong there and you will.

(And from experience, I think its awesome when women are back in the free weight area grinding out the weights with us guys. I wish more women would. Also from experience, I find that the women who do lift are better informed then most men because women at least do a bit of research first and follow some sort of programming instead of going to the gym, like most men, who are there just to get their brocurl on.)
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love being a woman who lifts, but I also find cardio very boring. My body shape has improved so much more from heavy lifting compared to the days I would grind out cardio. I've spotted men and women, and anyone I ask is happy to spot me. Also, when I deadlift, I get a compliment almost every time. My form is very spot on, and I agree with others that start with just the empty bar at first and learn proper form. When you start deadlifting more than you weight you will be happy to have proper form! Have fun!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Like others say...just do it. It may be hard to believe but most people don't judge others on what they can lift, as we all have different goals. And being a lady could be an advantage. Most people, guys or girls, have no problem showing newb how to do a certain exercise or how a machine works. I find gym folks to be some of the most friendly people out there.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Loads of great advice and comments :)

You just have to take a deep breath walk in and claim your space. Being prepared will help with the nerves.... knowing what you're going to do before you walk in, having a work out journal and pen on hand, i pod and headphones, water bottle filled etc

Most serious gym goers are usually pretty oblivious to what others are doing, even though it can feel like all eyes are on you. The four horse men of the apocalypse could ride through and I probably wouldn't notice unless they stopped in front of a piece of equipment I wanted to use lol

Don't worry once you go a couple of times the nerves will start to go away, we've all been there :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A couple other ideas...

If your schedule allows it, go during non-peak times. There are a number of benefits to having fewer people around.

Do some research before you go. Have an idea of what lifts you want to do, in what order, and some idea of how to do them. An app like Jefit will allow you to list out the lifts you want to do, and has little vids/animations of the movement (not instructional quality, but a good reassurance if you get flustered). Having some certainty about what you want to do, and some knowledge about how to do it, will help your confidence from the start.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ana_lalic wrote: »

Show some cleavage so they stare and drop a dumbbell on their toe. :wink:

Just face it: men build muscle, and most women just want to look slender. At my gym, a lot of women lift, though, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, most of the people on weights can actually help you. Ease the tension by asking for help or a spotter. Thinks like that.