How to get exercise into busy schedule.

Options

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I always found a way - sometimes even at work, getting in full body calisthenics just doing a fast set every 45 minutes or so.
    Nobody is ever too busy.
    You find a way...or you find an excuse.

I recall the last guy who told me his life was so busy - no time for exercise!
    And then he went on and on later about his favorite TV shows...lol

Just make the time.
    Good Luck!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    OP? Ya there?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Get a bicycle and start biking to work
    Get up earlier and work out before everyone wakes up. Also go to sleep earlier to compensate.
    Use that time in the evening after your daughter goes to bed and before you are ready to actually go to sleep.
    Do something instead of sitting after dinner before you leave. (If you rode a bike to work you would no longer have to go and get your SO).

You don't find time for exercise, you make it. You have plenty of dead time in your day that you could put to better use. You just have to change some habits in order to do so.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The flat out truth is that if you were motivated, you would do it.

You lack motivation for exercise and blame that on schedule, work, child, whatever...I can bluntly say this to you and confront your excuses, because I do it myself. We are hard core into denial about our problems, and justify missing exercise with a billion "legitimate" excuses. Get off the sofa and move. Or not. But acknowledge that you can do it if you want...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you aren't exercising right now, adding an early morning half hour walk and an after dinner family walk will do wonders for your sleep. Then once you're used to sleeping earlier and waking earlier, you can add earlier and earlier times to the waking up. If you're in florida, there is no better time to walk outside than pre-dawn, yes? Get a FitBit. Motivate yourself to walk 10,000-12,000 steps every day. It can be in 3 walking shifts per day. You can do this.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you really want to exercise, you will find/make time to do it. I'm a single mom and I feel your pain with the nonstop schedule. I, for one, feel that because of my schedule, and because I HATE IT, regular exercise is unsustainable, so I'm content to lose and control my weight through diet. I exercise when I find time and when it's an activity I enjoy (hiking, touristy stuff, swimming, racquet sports, etc.), but honestly it's rare. Do what works for you.
  • Miaslifejourney
    Miaslifejourney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the advice.

It would take me an hour and a half just to walk to work. I live in Florida. I would be hot, sweaty, and nasty by the time I got to work then getting back home, I would have even less time with my daughter.

Since so many people are saying their 5am work out fixed their insomnia, I will give this a try. I am in the process of changing my bad habits one at a time, so this will be the next thing I work on. With my history, my sleeping habits have been rather erratic. It feels like, no matter how much sleep I get, I am always exhausted. I go days where I only have 5 hours of sleep and am completely useless to 8 hours and still feeling tired through out the day but this seems to be the best amount for me. I have even slept for 10 hours because I was so tired (not anymore, this was before I had my daughter). It doesn't matter, I am always tired. Also, I can lay in bed all I want, but if my brain doesn't stop, I won't fall asleep. I always have my fan on, no TV, on occasion there is music, but other than that, it's me and the ceiling.

I truly want to lose weight and I fully understand that excuses are only hurting myself. But I also understand that when my body is telling me it is in serious pain, I need to listen to it. I never thought about sitting to workout. It just seems odd. I'll give that a try as well, it is definitely better than nothing.

My job requires me to stand in one spot for the majority of the day, we aren't allowed to have any mats. We used to have them, but we were told they were not allowed anymore. My work area is concrete floors. No tile or cushion whatsoever. I know the knee pain is from my excess weight. Everyday, by the time I get home, my ankles are swollen to the size of grapefruits. I have never had this problem before. I know it is due to my weight though, this is one of the many reasons why I want to lose weight.

15-30 minutes of exercise sounds so much less intimidating than the hour/s I was thinking I needed to do.

Also, I don't get my partner ready, that was a typo. My partner does help in the morning, she takes care of preparing the lunches and takes care of the dog in the morning among other things, she definitely does more than I could ever ask.

Thank you Kshama for sharing the knee exercises.

I'll tweak my schedule with some of these tips, thank you again everybody.

I did respond to most of the comments to those who didn't see.

In addition, I had a bike, but it got to the point where it was really hurting my knees so I stopped biking to work. I have come up with a schedule to get my exercise in. I am motivated, the pain is what mainly bothers me.

As I said before, I was thinking, when you exercise, it HAD to be for an hour or more, don't ask me why, that was just the impression I had. Now I know, even 30 minutes is good each day, that is manageable by all means. I have the motivation, without a doubt. This is the year for me.

I haven't been to a doctor, I feel that if I lose this extra weight, most of my health problems should go away.
  • Miaslifejourney
    Options
    You know...your inability to fall asleep at night is probably due to you not getting up early enough. Your circadian rhythm can be changed, it just may take a week or two to adjust to. Saying "I just was never a morning person so I don't wake up early" is a cop-out, and a fixed mindset. ANYONE is a morning person with the right attitude and effort.

If you physically cannot work out after work, then the ONLY option is before work. If you do not want to get up earlier to work out, then I (or anyone, for that matter) don't know what to tell you.

Psychologically speaking, waking up early to work out will serve three purposes, and I know this through experience. First, you will train your brain to get up early, and you will eventually start beating the alarm. Second, your circadian rhythm will change, and you will more often start getting tired soon after dark. Third, if you work out before work, you will deal with MUCH less pain during the day.

Also, just for sleep's sake, any electronic screen produces blue light. Blue light keeps people awake. So if you are on the phone, computer, or watching television, your brain will still think it needs to be awake, and will produce less melatonin. So, cut off electronics (to some degree) and use yellower lights, such as reading lights or light from a fire, and you might fall asleep easier. You can also have something rhythmic going in the room, such as a fan or fish tank pump, and that will act as white noise. That white noise will buffer out other sounds that tend to wake you up.

That is about all I have for you. Best of luck! Just renember: you get out what you put in.

First, thank you for giving me so much advice, I really do appreciate it. I set up a couple schedules for myself that should help. A couple things I will be doing is gradually getting up earlier and earlier and also walking my dog in the morning. He is a pest, so if I get him in the routine of walking in the morning, he will never leave me alone so I will have no choice in the matter but to get up and go haha. There are a few other things I will be changing as well. I honestly never considered my sleep issues to be the cause of my pain, but it makes sense.

When I go to bed, the air has to be set at a certain degree, ceiling fan, and box fan on. Absolutely no light, no tv, no music. On occasion, I will take a melatonin, but I try to avoid taking them because I don't want to depend on them.

I have a question though, you said my inability to fall asleep is possibly due to not getting up early enough, what is early enough? I always thought 7 was pretty early.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I once started a thread called "But I don't have TIME to exercise!" and wow did I get blasted!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    If it only takes you less than 15 minutes to drive to work, you probably have time to walk to and from work.

Even at only 20 mph, which is a very low estimate, this is about four miles which would take over an hour. And who would want to work with a hot sweaty person who just walked over an hour to get to work? It takes me 15 minutes to get to one of my client's office ten miles away. That would be 2-1/2 hours of walking for me, and on the highway, where I'm not allowed. Really!

Calm down, I was factoring in parking and congestion time.

It takes me 10 minutes to walk to work, but it can take 10 minutes to drive that far.

Then you are only half a mile away. That's do-able. Four to ten miles away is not.
  • Miaslifejourney
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ...My job requires me to stand in one spot for the majority of the day, we aren't allowed to have any mats. We used to have them, but we were told they were not allowed anymore. My work area is concrete floors. No tile or cushion whatsoever. I know the knee pain is from my excess weight. Everyday, by the time I get home, my ankles are swollen to the size of grapefruits. I have never had this problem before. I know it is due to my weight though, this is one of the many reasons why I want to lose weight.

I strongly suggest you see a doctor and have him/her write you a note that you have a health condition that requires you to stand on a mat. Over the years, I've had doctors write me notes for a variety of things, always with success.

Your company probably has some silly, and not legitimate, excuse that the mats are a hazard which I doubt is true as the industrial mats are designed for workplace situations.

Meanwhile, what kind of shoes are you wearing?

I believe it was due to tripping or slipping why they stopped allowing us to have them. For the last year, I have been buying slightly more expensive shoes (at least expensive in my eyes). Nikes. I was told they were pretty good, so far, they aren't any better that the previous shoes i have warn.
  • Miaslifejourney
    Options
    I always found a way - sometimes even at work, getting in full body calisthenics just doing a fast set every 45 minutes or so.
    Nobody is ever too busy.
    You find a way...or you find an excuse.

I recall the last guy who told me his life was so busy - no time for exercise!
    And then he went on and on later about his favorite TV shows...lol

Just make the time.
    Good Luck!

Well, guess we know why he doesn't exercise lol. I agree, there is always a way to do something you want, you just have to make it happen. With everyone's advice, I have come up with something that will work. On a side note, I can't stand TV. I do admit, I watch one show, but that is usually how my partner and I spend a little down time when she gets home from work. Not to mention, that is her way of falling asleep.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When i could workout at 530 am I was in best shape of my life. Usually asleep by 11. Great start to your day. How to fall asleep earlier.... No electronics or tv at night. Read in bed will help u relax. Try to get in bed by 10. Its all habit. Get your body in a new habit. Best of luck......i did not read any replies before mine fyi.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You know...your inability to fall asleep at night is probably due to you not getting up early enough. Your circadian rhythm can be changed, it just may take a week or two to adjust to. Saying "I just was never a morning person so I don't wake up early" is a cop-out, and a fixed mindset. ANYONE is a morning person with the right attitude and effort.

If you physically cannot work out after work, then the ONLY option is before work. If you do not want to get up earlier to work out, then I (or anyone, for that matter) don't know what to tell you.

Psychologically speaking, waking up early to work out will serve three purposes, and I know this through experience. First, you will train your brain to get up early, and you will eventually start beating the alarm. Second, your circadian rhythm will change, and you will more often start getting tired soon after dark. Third, if you work out before work, you will deal with MUCH less pain during the day.

Also, just for sleep's sake, any electronic screen produces blue light. Blue light keeps people awake. So if you are on the phone, computer, or watching television, your brain will still think it needs to be awake, and will produce less melatonin. So, cut off electronics (to some degree) and use yellower lights, such as reading lights or light from a fire, and you might fall asleep easier. You can also have something rhythmic going in the room, such as a fan or fish tank pump, and that will act as white noise. That white noise will buffer out other sounds that tend to wake you up.

That is about all I have for you. Best of luck! Just renember: you get out what you put in.

First, thank you for giving me so much advice, I really do appreciate it. I set up a couple schedules for myself that should help. A couple things I will be doing is gradually getting up earlier and earlier and also walking my dog in the morning. He is a pest, so if I get him in the routine of walking in the morning, he will never leave me alone so I will have no choice in the matter but to get up and go haha. There are a few other things I will be changing as well. I honestly never considered my sleep issues to be the cause of my pain, but it makes sense.

When I go to bed, the air has to be set at a certain degree, ceiling fan, and box fan on. Absolutely no light, no tv, no music. On occasion, I will take a melatonin, but I try to avoid taking them because I don't want to depend on them.

I have a question though, you said my inability to fall asleep is possibly due to not getting up early enough, what is early enough? I always thought 7 was pretty early.

On a natural level, it would be with the sun, or even somewhere after daybreak. But artificially, it varies person to person. I sleep in a van, and I am typically awake before the sun (but not up). What I have found is that if I get up extra early, I will get tired earlier than if I got up later. Melatonin production is key: it is what makes you sleep. Believe it or not, your body has a pretty awesome clock. It only needs 6-8 hours sleep. So if you wake up at 7, it won't start producing melatonin until about midnight or so. But if you shift that to waking up at 5 or 5:30, you can shift that clock to a schedule that is appropriate for you. Truth be told, the average person stays awake 16-17 hours, but you are only giving yourself 14 hours, whilst alotting 10 hours for sleep. That is great for children, but stretching it for adults.

If you want to get up earlier, try taking some melatonin soon after dinner. Take it for a few days, wake up in a routine, have a little coffee in the mornings, and see what happens. If your body takes, then get off the melatonin (so as to allow your body to create its own, as it should), and see if you fall asleep at 9 or 10. If you do, you should start waking up quite easily in the morning.

It takes training your brain and body, and some kickstarts may be needed, such as melatonin and caffeine. But do not create a dependency on melatonin. Alternate nights, or only use it a few nights at a time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If it only takes you less than 15 minutes to drive to work, you probably have time to walk to and from work.

Even at only 20 mph, which is a very low estimate, this is about four miles which would take over an hour. And who would want to work with a hot sweaty person who just walked over an hour to get to work? It takes me 15 minutes to get to one of my client's office ten miles away. That would be 2-1/2 hours of walking for me, and on the highway, where I'm not allowed. Really!

Calm down, I was factoring in parking and congestion time.

It takes me 10 minutes to walk to work, but it can take 10 minutes to drive that far.

Then you are only half a mile away. That's do-able. Four to ten miles away is not.

Yes, and that's data that hadn't been given when I posted.

OP, glad to hear you are motivated and know what to do. Good luck!
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    With my history, my sleeping habits have been rather erratic. It feels like, no matter how much sleep I get, I am always exhausted.

Have you seen a doctor? Insomnia is one thing, but if you feel exhausted even if you get a lot of sleep, you might be suffering from anemia or some other condition that can be treated.

I also find that a sleep mask sometimes helps me fall asleep. I have a Tempur-Pedic one that fits snugly around the edges but doesn't press on my eyes. It creates total darkness.

This was going to be my comment. Intermittent tiredness or insomnia is one thing, but continuous exhaustion following a good nights sleep may be a different underlying medical condition (thyroid disease is a common culprit). So, you might consider just getting checked out if it's something other than a little sleepiness.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You have to work a little bit harder. Do simpler exercises to lose your weight. And one more thing you have a problem while sleeping. My suggestion is you should remain stress-free and happy in your normal life. And if this does not work then you may prefer benzodiazepine pills to treat your anxiety.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    So many of us were like that before, but once you incorporate healthy habits into your life, you'll wonder how you didn't incorporate exercise into your life.

My wife and I have 3 kids (7, 5, 1). She gets up at 3:45 to make her 4am TRX class, then a run and works 6-3:30, picks up the kids at 4:30. I wake up at 5am, get the morning sorted with the kids, do calisthenics with the kids, get ready for school, make breakfast, shuttle to school/daycare between 7-8am. Work from 8-6, workout from 6-7, meet up with the family for dinner and kids are in bed at 8:30.

Seems daunting at first, but you just get used to it when you want to prioritize exercise.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't go by shoe brand, go by fit. Get some good, supportive shoes. Compression socks may help as well. Definitely get a good physical for the sleep and knee issues, start with your GP and go from there.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't necessarily involve exercise. Believe me, I exercised like a fanatic and couldn't lose anything because I was eating everything back.

But, if you are looking for time to exercise, I would strongly encourage you to try to wake up earlier. I get up at 4am, at the gym by 4:40 to run, then spin class. I did it because I had kids out of school for the summer and childcare would have cost me an additional $45/month (more, because I would have to sign up for a year and pay even when they were in school).

At first it sucked. Like you, I'm a night owl and insomniac. I don't like to go to be before 10pm and (then lie awake for a while) and I didn't like to get up in the morning. But I got used to it. I changed my sleeping cycles. Now, I LOVE getting up and hitting the gym early in the morning. It's the best part of my day.