Is it wrong...

Options
to hold your tummy in while sitting, standing, walking etc...I read somewhere that it can strengthen the tummy muscles or is that just wishful thinking on my part!!!!

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I can't see that it would hurt. And it makes you look skinnier! :)
  • mand1102
    mand1102 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my trainer always tells us we need to 'switch our abs on' at all times, so keep on doing it!!!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's the best thing to do. My old trainer said that your muscles have memory and if you keep holding your tummy in and firm they remember to be like that and your tummy will look naturally flat.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The idea behind "holding your tummy is" is really one of contracting your abdominal muscles. Keeping your core (abdominals) engaged might not necessarily burn any calories but it can certainly make you more aware of good posture while standing (it is for example tough to suck that gut in while being slouched over, much easier when standing tall and proud:) and sitting and strengthen your abdominal wall. I would do these not continuously but contract, hold in, relax, repeat. Allows more better, deeper breathing too. Now if only I could remember to do that more often. Be well.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    not only that, but holding your core muscles helps keep your back stable. preventing injury later on
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i always do it when exercising. makes me feel like im doing more. and it also prevents cramps when running i find.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My Mom has always had a little pooch, even when very young. Consequently she always told me about sucking in your stomach. I swear it became such an ingrained habit that I suck in my stomach while I am sleeping :) Hasn't hurt me so far..........
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think everybody's guilty of it. And, as they said, it helps strengthen your core. Can't beat that! =)
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since I was a child. My mom told me about it, I don't think for the purpose of looking thin because I was very waify as a child. But I knew she did it and she said it makes your tummy strong. Needless to say, I've had a flat stomach even into adulthood. Now, my hips are another story. However, I don't have that tummy bulge to go along with the bulgy hips. I really do think it's because of sucking it in!
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    right going to keep doing it so :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    to hold your tummy in while sitting, standing, walking etc...I read somewhere that it can strengthen the tummy muscles or is that just wishful thinking on my part!!!!

It will strengthen them, and give you better posture.