Savory (not sweet) breakfast ideas?

Options
i think breakfast is my fave meal of the day. Problem is, I'm not very creative in the kitchen and I really don't like starting the day with sweet foods. Any suggestions? My usual is toast, eggs and bacon.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Left over omellettes...take a portion of whatever you ate last night and fold it into an OM with some cheese. My husband loves when I make these for breakfast.
  • jb_interiors
    jb_interiors Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Funny you should say that. I was eyeing the leftover pork loin this morning. LOL. Great suggestion, thanks!
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Leftovers :smiley: I had lasagne this morning... as I said in another thread, breakfast of champions!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like to take my leftover roasted vegetables and make a "hash" with them, then top with a runny egg. Or, omelettes or scrambles with whatever meats, veggies and cheeses I have.

My absolute favorite is to make a crustless quiche/frittata and eat 1/4 of it for 4 days in a row - super helpful before work. I swap out the ingredients with the same base. My favorites so far are cabbage/bacon and BLT and they're under 150 calories for a substantial slice.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had avocado with lemon and sea salt on toast this morning.
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    Yes! I really think that's my best option. I don't understand the whole sweet cereal, muffin, oatmeal or fruit thing in the morning. Maybe it will change as I progress with healthier eating but for now, meat and salt is where it's at. LOL
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    I like to take my leftover roasted vegetables and make a "hash" with them, then top with a runny egg. Or, omelettes or scrambles with whatever meats, veggies and cheeses I have.

My absolute favorite is to make a crustless quiche/frittata and eat 1/4 of it for 4 days in a row - super helpful before work. I swap out the ingredients with the same base. My favorites so far are cabbage/bacon and BLT and they're under 150 calories for a substantial slice.

Awesome ideas!!! Thanks!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with portobello mushrooms fried in a little olive oil/cajun seasonings and greek yogurt on top. My favorite breakfast. Sometime I'll put some hot sauce on it.

Omelette with chili on top is good, too.
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with portobello mushrooms fried in a little olive oil/cajun seasonings and greek yogurt on top. My favorite breakfast. Sometime I'll put some hot sauce on it.

Omelette with chili on top is good, too.

Pretty sure I just drooled. Sounds awesome!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Steak.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like making curried red lentils and topping them with a poached egg, some plain greek yogurt, and cilantro.
  • jb_interiors
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like making curried red lentils and topping them with a poached egg, some plain greek yogurt, and cilantro.

You had me at cilantro. Yum!
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Grits if you want a quick meal. They aren't as good as bacon and eggs but the calories aren't too bad, about 100 per packet on average. My girlfriend got me on a kick of scrambling eggs and tossing them with bacon into the grits. No need for butter or salt with that mixture.

Toss some cheese or a bit of butter in them.. or pretty much anything.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oregano is good on scrambled eggs, gives them a savoury flavour.
  • dani8982
    dani8982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Grits if you want a quick meal. They aren't as good as bacon and eggs but the calories aren't too bad, about 100 per packet on average. My girlfriend got me on a kick of scrambling eggs and tossing them with bacon into the grits. No need for butter or salt with that mixture.

Toss some cheese or a bit of butter in them.. or pretty much anything.

Smash a fried egg up in the grits, that's my favorite way. With the bacon still there, of course. :smile:
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had a craving for scrambled eggs topped w/ creamed peas the other day...thinking about it all week evolved into this delicious creation:

oumhjka4w21g.jpg

Baked egg over homemade creamed peas, topped with bacon, gruyere & fresh thyme. appx 400 cal, 36g fat, 4g carb, 16g protein.

would be goo over creamed spinach as well, although I've been using kale in place of that lately with even better results.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1xss6ed1q50i.jpg

Saute kale, onion and sausage (4oz) together (or vegan sausage, in this pic. I'll eat anything) with just a sprinkle of olive oil (1tsp or less). Add a side of hummus (1/4 cup) and sliced tomato. Sprinkle hot sauce or sriracha over everything. Savory breakfast deliciousness! Approximately 500 calories, depending on how much sausage you like to scarf in the morning. It only takes a few minutes to prepare if you have all the ingredients handy, so you can whip this up before work pretty easily.
  • CherylNTexas
    CherylNTexas Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Everyone is way more creative than I am! I usually have less than 5 minutes to throw something together or not eat; so on a rush day I will have an apple with a string cheese and either a handful of almonds or couple of boiled eggs, or a sandwich. (Either one taken to work with me and eaten there.) If I have time to cook, I love scrambled eggs with Julio's Salsa and a sprinkle of cheese. Also, any leftover in the fridge is fair game! (Literally ANYTHING!) :-)
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Cook some chicken covered in salsa verde in a crockpot overnight and make tacos or tostadas for breakfast. Since you have little time in the morning, make sure all the veggies and toppings (lettuce, cilantro, radishes, oregano, cotija cheese....) are already cut up for easy assembly. Quick and delicious.

Latkes are good, and I think you can prepare them ahead of time and freeze so you just have to heat them up in the morning, but I've never tried that.

Breakfast potatoes with onions, peppers, a bit of soy sauce, avocado, a sprinkling of cheese and a dollop of sour cream (or plain greek yogurt) is one of my favorites.

Breakfast burritos of scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese, avocado, and sriracha don't take any more time than the eggs and bacon you say you're already eating. My husband likes to precook his bacon and put it in a tupperware with a paper towel so it stays crisp in the fridge. That could save you a little time.

Stir-fry your leftover protein with whatever vegetables are on hand. Add rice and an egg for breakfast fried rice. I like making a paste of garlic, thai chilis, and cilantro in a mortar and pestle and heating that up with the oil before adding everything else.

Steak and eggs. (I hate steak, but this is one of my husband's favorite breakfasts).

Bring some broth to a boil. Using a wire basket, dip some thin noodles (rice, egg, mung bean, whatever kind you like, but the key here is thin; you'll have more options if there's an Asian market nearby. I'm partial to mung bean) in the broth until soft (it doesn't take long if the noodles are fresh or very thin). Place in a bowl. Then dip some chopped vegetables (bok choy is a good one) until barely wilted. Add to the bowl. Top generously with bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, and chopped fried garlic. Add freshly pickled serrano, crushed chili peppers, white pepper, cilantro, and sugar to taste. Mix it up and eat it dry or add a ladlefull of broth to the bowl. You can reuse the broth all week, and it tastes better every day you do. Oh man, I want this right now. It takes almost no time, and it's oh so delicious. That's the base: you can also add protein (I like sliced fried tofu). If you add meat, it takes a bit longer for obvious reasons. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces before cooking in the broth. You can also just add leftover, already-cooked meat and heat it in the broth. Really, you can do whatever you like.

• jb_interiors
    Options
    Forget breakfast! I want those all day long. LOL. Great ideas. Thank you sooo much.