Negative calorie adjustment... what is it exactly?

I have a fitbit charge and read on the fitbit group that you should enable it when using a tracker linked to your MFP account. Why is this, and what exactly does negative adjustment do compared to not using it? The FAQ doesn't really describe it very well.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    MFP predicts based on my activity level setting that I will burn 1870 calories in a day.
    If my Fitbit tracks that my full day burn is 1770:
    • with negative adjustments on 100 calories will be subtracted from what I can consume. This will keep my deficit at 500 calories.
    • without negative adjustments, my adjustment would be 0. My deficit for the day would be 400 calories instead of the 500 calories I want it to be.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    A negative adjustment allows MFP to make sure you aren't overeating if you don't burn as much as it believes you should for your activity level.

Say you eat 1800 calories a day to lose a pound a week...this means your maintenance calories are 2300. You take it slow that day and get wrapped up in other things, so you don't have much of a chance to work out/walk more. MFP will read your Fitbit burn when you sync it and estimates that you'll burn, say, 2100 calories for the entire day if you don't increase your activity. That means, in order to keep your 500 calorie deficit there, it must subtract 200 calories from your goal. If you increase/decrease your activity, then the next time you sync your Fitbit MFP will change your adjustment.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You haven't moved enough to meet the activity level you chose
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Okay, that makes a lot more sense! Thanks!