Ears hurt when running

Options
Every time I run/jog my ears hurt like I have an ear infection, but about 10 minutes after I am done running my ears are totally normal. I am going to the doctor today for something else but I am still going to ask about this. Does anyone else ever experience this?

Replies

• k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get it occasionally but more in winter. Always blamed it on the wind but would like to know if anyone else suffers with the same??
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with eczema of the inner ear a few years back and my ears ACHE when I'm in cold weather or when I'm outside running.

I have to wear ear muffs or a hat.

So it could be that. I got drops to treat it at the time but now I just make sure I dry my ears really well (but they still sweat and that is what makes them ache - ew) or cover them.

Edit: I forgot to say that it could just be the fact your inner ears are sweating and the air is making it go cold and then become painful.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just a theory but definitley check with your doctor..

When we excercise our blood pressure elevates and blood is forced into various parts of our bodies at a higher rate making more sensative parts ache/hurt in some cases.. I get a headache when I excercise but it goes away within 30 mins of my stopping excercise and my heart rate returning to normal.. its possible that this is why you are experiencing this pain. But as I said its just an opinion of mine a health care professional is better suited to answer such concerns.
  • joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i get it really bad
    I wear a hat when I run now
    ear plug earphones help too

I even wore a hat when I ran the Belfast marathon last year and it was hot/sunny
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I get it occasionally but more in winter. Always blamed it on the wind but would like to know if anyone else suffers with the same??

yes i usually blamed it on the wind as well since those are the days it seems to happen
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i get it even when i am just walking the dog too...
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    yeah when i went to the doctor she said that it is just the colder weather...but I get it when I am hot too and...ehh this might sound gross but it feels like kind of a "draining" feeling. nothing comes out. But whatever. I hate the feeling but I am just hoping it will go away soon :)