45yo, 120+ to lose, homeschool with 5 kids :)

Options
Need encouragement, accountability, and a realistic place to start! :) Any advice from anyone who has been, or is currently in same position? 45 yo with over 100 to lose? Homeschoolers? Anyone who has been successful? Please fill my ears (and eyes ;) with truth, respectfully :) Hubby wants me to workout with him. Unfortunately, losing well over 100 lbs is not the same as when I was 30 or 40 overweight. So getting under a squat rack does not work as it once did 15 yrs ago :( Thank you!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In the beginning focus on getting used to the data base and logging your foods. It takes a couple of weeks for that. Then you can evaluate and see patterns so you can make possible changes. Weight loss is mostly about eating less food than you were eating before so for a few weeks pay attention to food intake. Depending on where you live you can take walks. Good luck.
    In the Getting Started Section there are good threads about getting started. Here is one.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • karengilmour798
    karengilmour798 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm starting too with loys to lose - about 100 lbs as well. It's so daunting. I don't believe in motivation, just a matter of doing some exercise every day whether it's a walk when you feel tired or putting on some 80's music (I'm the same age as you!) and dance crazy for about 2 songs, go outside and throw a ball around with the kids, take them to the park and use the equipment to do step ups or standing push ups. I don't care how crazy I look as I'm doing this for my daughter. I find the weight makes exercise hard and a bit embarrassing. I joined a gym where I do aqua aerobics. If you take the kids to he pool, you can jump in with them and run in the water and use the water as resistance. Add me as a friend and I will be a support for you as I'm on the same journey. Karen.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    start small like walking on a slight incline on a treadmill. add more as it gets easy or increase speed from walk to run when able for 15min.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/caitlins-107-pound-weight-loss-dont-buy-into-126433450132.html
  • 7nickels
    7nickels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I think I need to just accept where I am & that perhaps a marathon is not in the near future, but is also not unforeseeable. Truly, I dont even know that I want to run! Roller skate & bike - YES! ;) There is a huge difference in being 45 and being 25 in losing weight. I did not believe that 20 yrs ago.;) Now that I am older, assuredly I say yes. It is true!! Metabolism slows, responsibilities change, and issues of life arise.

I appreciate the suggestion of just focusing on the logging in for now. Also, laughed at dancing to the 80s!! My teen boys (16 & 14) would DIE at the sight of that!! May have to do it! LOL!! :) One of the things that I have found is recognizing what I do with stress - I eat. I dont even realize that I am doing either. Food is like a drug. I will be working on how to change that way of handling things. Prayers welcomed! ;)
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Since you are homeschooling, maybe have P.E. a few times a week? Play dodge ball in the front yard, or frisbee or tag. Nature walk to learn about plants? That sounds fun.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi there. :smile: I started working to lose weight in my 30s, after my sixth baby. Some of the kids go to private school now, but I was homeschooling at the time. I started with Leslie Sansone videos- literally just marching in place for about 15 minutes a couple of times a week. Eventually moved to weight lifting and running. I've kept about 50 to 60 pounds off (with some fluctuations due to pregnancies) for seven years now, and I did run my first marathon last year. Took me five hours, but I did it! ;) I'm now due with our ninth in December, planning to remain active so if you're looking to add friends, please add me!
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @7nickels I started my weight loss journey a few years ago when I was homeschooling my 4 kids and my niece's 2 year old was staying with us--that makes 5! I cleared the other kids' schedules for Tues/thur/fri mornings & signed my son up for a soccer team for homeschooling families. When I took him to soccer I'd walk laps around the field the whole time. After a couple weeks, I'd run intervals. By the end of the year I was running it the whole 2 hours! I realized that making the time for myself on those mornings was helping me be more productive when I was home with the kids because I had more energy. It was the best thing I've ever done.

My son graduated high school & the other kids are all going to school now, but I still run at least 3 mornings a week. I love it! I NEED IT! Taking care of myself has helped me be a better mom.

Best wishes! You can do this! For your family & for yourself. : )
  • 7nickels
    7nickels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We do go on lots of nature walks! Love them :) Good point!
    The Y is a pretty good distance from my house, 35 min, but this morning I looked in to classes and how I could work it. Also, we have a pool, the where we live the season is nearly over. But, I also looked up some pool workouts & looking forward to trying that out for a few weeks.

Wish I could get a handle on the stress eating part, but I suppose one thing at a time. ;)
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Goals! Make goals. Not the "lose 70lb huge goal" but small goals. I have 100 more lbs to go. I've lost 20. I make small goals. The goal I'm working on now is working out 5 days and logging every day. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but this is what works for me.
    I have 2 kids and it's hard with working full time, taking care of the house and bills, taking care of the kids while finding time for myself when my husband works over 70+ hours a week. But I do it. It's something I budget and schedule.
    Your husbands on board and seems supportive so that's great. Maybe adopt a healthy lifestyle for your whole family!
    Best of luck to you. Don't look at how far you need to go but how far you've come. That really helps too.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to loss never look at the big number
    I do 7lbs at a time ( as I am in UK I still use stones which are 14lbs so I am doing 1/2 a stone at a time )
    Make sure you log all you eat and drink and weight it all
    Only weigh in once a week
    If you mess up one day get right back on it don't make it two days
    I am 51 and I have 130lb + to loss
    I started myfittnesspal in January and I have lost 81 lbs so far