HRM questions

Options
I'm looking into buy a HRM but I notice that only some descriptions include "calorie counter." Do all HRM's count calories?
What brand HRM do you use if you have one? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ecahill91
    ecahill91 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm in love with my Polar FT7. A little pricey, but I got mine on Ebay for $50 less than the original price. Shop around, but Polars are EXCELLENT.
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar Ft4 from Target. I originally bought a New Balance one and I got it out of the package and it didn't count calories, it only monitored your heart rate. I returned it and paid a little more for the Polar, I love it!
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    Got ours at walmart.... w/ chest strap Counts cals, does the % and will beep when you're too high. It was $50.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Also have a Polar FT7! Can't do without it now! haha!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    love my polar ft7 as well
  • mom2lynn
    mom2lynn Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a Timex and it counts calories and is very easy to use!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4- again a bit more pricy but Polar is awesome! Has helped me so much! Best investment I have ever made!
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    After much research, i went with the polar ft7. got it from heartratemonitorsusa.com.. its on sale right now.. Just ordered so i do not actually have it yet,but it should be a decent one.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 (actually designed for women so the watch and chest strap are not so bulky). It monitors heart rate, counts calories (just remember to start the timer at the beginning of your workout), and you can save data from up to 9 workouts. It seems very accurate and is very comfortable. Only $70 at Target and you can probably find it cheaper if you shop around (like amazon or ebay). I love it and would highly recommend it! I was originally going to buy the Polar FT4, but I am glad I saved myself the $30 and got the New Balance N4 instead! =)
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 user here! It's made all the difference in the world with counting my workouts in my daily calorie goals!
  • Dani180
    Dani180 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi All,
    Does anyone have any experience changing the battery in one of these?

My wife had a heart-rate monitor she bought at Walmart and it worked just fine until the battery died. The user's manual suggested taking the watch to a "watch mechanic" or something for battery replacement. After opening it up, I can see why. I had to dismantle the entire inside of the watch to get to the battery. Now the only thing that works on it is the light and the stopwatch feature.

I want my next heart-rate monitor to have a user-replaceable battery
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm currently looking for a half decent one that tracks calories too but they all seem really expensive!? :sad:
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm currently looking for a half decent one that tracks calories too but they all seem really expensive!? :sad:

It totally sucks spending $70-80 on a gadget like that, but it's SO worth it!! You'll find yourself working harder to get your heart rate up, and I find that I sometimes won't end my workout until I reach the "next 100" level.
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    anybody know what the difference between the mens HRM and the womens HRM is? Could I share one with my husband? I want to get one of the more expensive ones and it would be great if we could share to make the money go a bit further. Thanks :)
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    think the mens are sometimes a bit bigger, I have a mens polar ft7, looks a little big on my wrist but only coz have about 5-6 inch wrists
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    anybody know what the difference between the mens HRM and the womens HRM is? Could I share one with my husband? I want to get one of the more expensive ones and it would be great if we could share to make the money go a bit further. Thanks :)

If you want it to count calories you have to enter you age, height sex and weight - which is time consuming on a watch. Not really practical to share that functionality - and you wouldn't be able to exercise together.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4- again a bit more pricy but Polar is awesome! Has helped me so much! Best investment I have ever made!
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    Decided to just get one just for myself and ordered the Polar FT4 last night! Can't wait for it to get here! Thanks for all the help!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had a Garmin 405cx and returned it after their software update screwed it up. I just invested in a Suunto T3D and love it. Has chest strap, can do HIIT with it, has a website to track stuff, and counts cals. Also, the battery is very simple to replace. I pulled it out to reset it when it arrived.