Anyone overcome B.E.D

Options
Has anyone on here overcome B.E.D? Also overcome it and lost weight. I've just been diagnosed with it. It makes sense and im sad that I have this but I also want to over come it and still lode weight happily. This disorder has stopped me losing weight. I need to overcome it x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you have a recovery team, a doctor or another professional who you can talk to?
  • 3steps4ward1back
    3steps4ward1back Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • bennett180790
    bennett180790 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i have :) i was a chronic binger, purger and restricted my food and gained 3 stone (42lbs) in 2 years after losing over 80lbs. since September last year i have lost those 42lbs and no longer binge at all. honestly i just took it day by day and having macros to stick to kept me in check and gave me structure, over the months i learned how calorie dense food was. I dont avoid or restrict any food i make it fit my macros for the day. I have one treat meal a week. If i have an event or weekend or holiday event then i go with the flow and don't stress, subconciously i make the better choice but if i want a burger ill have one. i never think of binging now it doesnt enter my mind. I know how *kitten* i feel after and how dissapointed i am in myself i use that as motivation not to do it and just like giving up anything else - smoking, drink drugs whatever over time it gets easier and you dont crave it anymore. I keep tubs of ice cream, crisps chocolate everything in my house and im not even tempted. It boils down to how much you want it and willpower. if you feel like binging then go upstairs, go out, go for a walk just get away from the kitchen. only you can make the change and do it for yourself no one else can :) it's hard im not saying it isnt but once you have 1 month binge free you wont want to do it again. I never had any professional help so it can be done again self responsibility and knowing as an adult what is a serving and how it will make you feel.
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can safely say that I have not. But its gotten much better. Instead of 3000 calorie binges on honey buns, its been 500 calorie binges on lunch meat (*kitten* is so good, omg!). Counting calories has made me very aware of how bad my binging was. May I suggest overeaters anonymous? There's also a good book on curing binge eating that I read once but I cannot remember the name. I'll come back later to give you the name.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    link for requests to be part of the OA group here
  • amandasim1985
    amandasim1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shell1005 has hit the nail on the head completely - this would be my advice to you also. I haven't overcome it yet but I'm pregnant at the moment so the urge to binge isn't as strong. CBT worked for me greatly but I have allowed myself to relapse back into it. You never overcome it completely but you can learn to live with it and find other ways to deal with emotions etc. Best of luck to you xxx
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have made very significant progress and was able to lose enough weight to compete in bodybuilding competitions. The first step was figuring out triggers, next was not attempting to over compensate through strict dieting. Tracking when they happened and circumstances surrounding it helped me see when the next one was starting and to plan on how to divert it.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm a binge eater& have done for a long time. These posts are really helpful, this week I've begun to log my binges and also make notes in my diary of triggers etc this is helping me realise how out of control I am. I don't believe that I'll ever be free from binging but I would just love to get to where it happens every now and again.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I struggled with an eating disorder most of my life. As other people have said, conquer the ED first then worry about weight loss. Once I was ready to change seeing a dietician and therapist really helped. Now that I have a healthier attitude I've been able to focus on weight loss and fitness. I don't believe people ever really get over it but you can definitely become in control of it. Best of luck!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did, but it was because I didn't eat all day and would cook, portion and ravage all night. I recall once eating a baked onion and an entire carton of eggs (minus the yolks) in a frenzy.
    Once I ate enough during the day I was able to eat normally and no longer binge.
    Therapy is really a large part of the answer.
  • 3steps4ward1back
    3steps4ward1back Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. It means a lot to me and has given me some hope. X
  • emily23dw
    emily23dw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can happily say I have stopped my binge eating. It took me about 2 years of struggling with it to finally figure out what works for me and healing my relationship with food. I am now 2 months binge free ( after 2 years of binging almost daily)! All I can say is that you should never ever lose hope. I thought I could never get over it and here I am the happiest I have been in years.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I haven't totally overcome it, but it's generally under control and I have managed to lose some weight this year.
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have it, and it took me a long time to see a great hypnotherapist/therapist/cbt person. I'm not perfect and I still have binge days, but the binges are smaller and less frequent. I find by logging them on here it helps me to accept and move on, and my pals on here are so supportive when it does happen. Good luck and feel free to add me for support.