I'm looking for advice/guidance

Options
Hi,

I've decided that I need to lose some weight. I've been reading this forum and others to find out the best way to lose weight. It seems that the best way to lose weight is to create a caloric deficit. I've cut down on food and according to MFP I'm currently eating 1500 calories everyday. I now also do 90 minutes a day on my exercise bike, 6 days a week. I do 60 minutes moderate pace and 30 minutes of HIIT. Now this is where I often get confused, I'm eating 1500 calories a day, but I'm also working hard everyday, I've seen some people suggest that you should eat back the calories you burn, is this correct? I'm considering lifting weights for 30 minutes per day also. I'd like to lose 2lb a week.

I'd just like to know if what I'm currently doing is correct and more importantly will I achieve my goals in doing so? If not, I'd like to know what I should do instead.

Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you get your calorie goal from MFP? MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. Many calorie burn estimates are over-estimated, so people often eat 25-75% back to ensure they stay in a deficit.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do a board search on eating back calories. There's a ton of info on here. My 2 cents, if you're hungry eat some of them back but keep them healthy and not too starchy. If you're still starving, eat a few more back. I eat around 1800, and burn 500 a day. That nets me at 1300ish. If I'm hungry I'll eat 200-300 back in high fat and protein. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. Simple as that. Listen to your body.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rumijs wrote: »
    Do a board search on eating back calories. There's a ton of info on here. My 2 cents, if you're hungry eat some of them back but keep them healthy and not too starchy. If you're still starving, eat a few more back. I eat around 1800, and burn 500 a day. That nets me at 1300ish. If I'm hungry I'll eat 200-300 back in high fat and protein. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. Simple as that. Listen to your body.

If starchy foods are what someone enjoys and it fits with the rest of your food for the day, why not? I usually have a bagel with non-dairy cream cheese every week after my Sunday long run. It's a delicious mix of macronutrients and it fills me up for the whole afternoon. Other people might not like it, but it works for some of us.
  • JordLfc1993
    JordLfc1993 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did you get your calorie goal from MFP? MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. Many calorie burn estimates are over-estimated, so people often eat 25-75% back to ensure they stay in a deficit.

Yes I did, and thanks for your advice.