Best exercises to firm?

Options
i have been exercising 1 to 2 hours s day 5 to 7 days a week for 2 years, and although I feel healthier I haven't lost weight and don't see much in the way of firming or toning. I take classes at the gym, mostly Zumba and body jam (dance class) also body combat and on occasion body flow. I recently did PiYo twice and like it. I have tried body pump many times but it really hurts my back. Can someone give me some ideas to firm the butt and thighs and stomach? Arms too so I guess everything! Thanks, Michelle

Replies

• dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights.

Look into Strong Curves or Stronglifts 5 x 5.

I would hate myself if I had that exercise schedule.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You look tighter by losing fat and exposing the muscle underneath. The number one way to do that is through your diet. Make sure your logging is accurate; using a food scale is wonderful for this. Resistance training will help you preserve muscle while you lose fat and shape your body.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Look up the Strong Curves program by Brett Contreras "the Glute Guy". It is a progressive program that can help build strength and definition through proper diet and weight training.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to eat at a defecit.
    Strong curves is a great program that has a focus on the butt. It also includes a bodyweight program if you are uncomfortable with weights.

However, chances are your form was not correct in bodypump. Did the instructor help you with that?
    Also the benefit of a program over a class is the lower number of reps and less speed. You get to determine how fast you go so you have the chance to focus on your form.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Also stick around and read the threads on fitness. You can learn from the posters who slimmed down and achieved that defined look. Is it possible that you may be lacking in progressive heavy lifting?
  • shelliesv
    shelliesv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know that diet is most important and I have been strictly following a healthy diet now and tracking every bite. I just want to be sure I maximize my exercise time and outcome by doing what Exercise is best for firming and toning. I have lost weight without exercise before and I was thin but flabby. I have 30lbs to lose but want to do the proper exercises to firm and tone as I lose weight.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    So you're already doing the right things! Well done!
    If body pump was hurting your back, I'd had a quick chat to the instructor before a class.
    You've got the right idea. It's just time to find an exercise that you really really enjoy doing. I've noticed a lot of your exercise is cardio based.
    I know it gets really really over preached, but have you thought about weights? Not a weights class but actual lifting and pushing of heavy weights. Maybe you could book an appointment with a personal trainer?
    Either way, whatever you choose... I wish you the bestest of luck :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    shelliesv wrote: »
    i have been exercising 1 to 2 hours s day 5 to 7 days a week for 2 years, and although I feel healthier I haven't lost weight and don't see much in the way of firming or toning. I take classes at the gym, mostly Zumba and body jam (dance class) also body combat and on occasion body flow. I recently did PiYo twice and like it. I have tried body pump many times but it really hurts my back. Can someone give me some ideas to firm the butt and thighs and stomach? Arms too so I guess everything! Thanks, Michelle

"Toning" is a deception. Ask for exercises from the trainers in the weight room.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception/p1